Help!

Gingerboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat is always on drip for IV fluid bc of his kidney failure.. Then we are also tending to a stray cat with liver failure bc of poisoning and it seems that the vet asked me to give both of them the IV drip daily.

Just when I inserted the needle into the cat with kidney failure on drip, I forgot to change the needle which was previously used for the stray cat.. Will the poison be spread to my cat with kidney failure? I realised immediately and took out the needle and replaced it with a new one btw😭😭😭

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome.
I can tell you right away to calm down, no poison will be spread from a cat to another one through a simple mixing of needles.
But what it might happen is that if a cat has a viral disease, this disease could be spred to the other cat.

The golden rule is always to discard a used needle right after the injection.
Your home cat is safe from the poison, don't worry :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gingerboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome.
I can tell you right away to calm down, no poison will be spread from a cat to another one through a simple mixing of needles.
But what it might happen is that if a cat has a viral disease, this disease could be spred to the other cat.

The golden rule is always to discard a used needle right after the injection.
Your home cat is safe from the poison, don't worry :)
Since I brought the stray to the vet before, she did let me know that I should always change the needle everytime but today I totally got mixed up because I was super busy 😔 but I think the stray didn't have a viral disease bc she's always with her mom but her mom seems ok for now, so I think there's no viral disease spread.. The stray likes to hunt rats so according to the vet she probably got poisoned bc of consuming rats which may probably be poisoned :/ I just really hope it doesn't spread to my home cat ;;

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gingerboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would call your vet in the morning, just to be safe. I agree with Antonio65 Antonio65 on this. You do want to make sure that there were no other issues that could be spread via the mix-up.
Yeah, I will probably do that tomorrow morning but now I'm just so anxious 😭 thanks alot for yours' and Antonio65 Antonio65 's advice!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The stray likes to hunt rats so according to the vet she probably got poisoned bc of consuming rats which may probably be poisoned :/ I just really hope it doesn't spread to my home cat ;;
I feel quite confident that no rat poison has been spread to your home cat. The outer surface of a needle is tinier than tiny and even if some poison is present in the tissues of the feral cat, I guess that only a tinier than tiny amount of it has stuck to the needle and then been transferred to your home cat. If any harmful amount of poison is on the needle, this means that the concentration of poison in the feral cat is so high that she would have dropped dead immediately.
Anyway, like Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 said, you can call your vet as soon as they open, so you are safe and sure.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, think you have no problems here, the chances are almost nonexistent of spreading anything. You could get in the habit of dipping the needles in boiling water for a minute, that would sterilize them, and then no worries, or wiping with an alcohol pad and then rinsing. (to dilute the alcohol)