Help!

syoung569

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A stray cat (probably less than a year old) showed up at my house in late August with 3 kittens that were approx 4-5 weeks old. (They were still nursing)
I started feeding with the intention of getting them to a good home or shelter. Well, before you know it, she is pregnant again! Fast forward to yesterday and she had 5 kittens. 1 was very small and didn’t make it through the night. I just went to check on her and another has died! Her kittens from her first litter are getting in the basket with her and I think they might have smashed the second one that died! What do I do???? She lets the other cats get in there.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can separate the litters if you have a warm place for the first litter to hang out. There will be yelling and mom cat may not like it.

It is important to realize that, unfair as it is, sometimes even an experienced and well cared for mom loses a litter. She did have them very close together and didn't really have time to build up again after the first litter. This isn't your fault, sometimes Nature doesn't work as well as she should.

You might want to take mom and the second litter to the vet to see if there is something wrong with the kits that you can't see.

The day after she weens this group, get her fixed. Some can get pregnant when nursing so don't let her outside again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syoung569

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! How are things now?
Can you separate the older litter away?
Mom did come back this afternoon and we were able to put her and her new litter in a spare bedroom. I put her basket in the closet so she could feel secure. She got in there and let them nurse for quite awhile.
I have the older litter out in the garage. I was concerned about one of her older ones getting her pregnant so I’m glad it’s ok to separate them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syoung569

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can separate the litters if you have a warm place for the first litter to hang out. There will be yelling and mom cat may not like it.

It is important to realize that, unfair as it is, sometimes even an experienced and well cared for mom loses a litter. She did have them very close together and didn't really have time to build up again after the first litter. This isn't your fault, sometimes Nature doesn't work as well as she should.

You might want to take mom and the second litter to the vet to see if there is something wrong with the kits that you can't see.

The day after she weens this group, get her fixed. Some can get pregnant when nursing so don't let her outside again.
Thank you so much! This made me feel so much better!!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Main thing for older kits is to be sure they are warm enough, eating enough, and stay in the garage. No wandering about in the outside world. And Sarthur2 is right, get them spayed and neutered as soon s possible, yep, incest is not considered a problem among cats. Been there, see that, toms got the ladies in that condition before they even sprayed for the first time. (If they've already done that, your vet can take care of it. You have enough kits to handle, and you're a good person for doing it.)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping these cats!

Please be sure to keep mom 100% inside until she is spayed, and yes, go ahead and get the older kittens done now.