Help

Dannisair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I volunteer many hours to TNR and recently was given a trapped kitty to integrate with my colony. Her spay was scheduled to end four days later. The following day I realized she was a VERY pregnant kitty and spotting blood. I immediately took her to the vet who told me she must be going into labor. Fast forward 3 days later and we have lots of blood spotting. I've called my vet multiple times and he told me tomorrow morning she could come in and get a C section (if needed). My questions for you: have any of your kitties had red spotting for a few days before labor? Is there a chance the kittens are alive? :(

I feel as though the trapping stressed her and she is to stressed. I feel awful as I loaned the trap to the people and they assumed she was fat. I'm angry at my vet who did not take me seriously until now. I have uploaded pics of the spotting. My biggest fear is that there are dead kittens

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has she had the C section yet? How did it go?

Whatever happened (or happens) please don't blame yourself. You did more for that little girl then anyone else did. There was no way you could have known she was pregnant prior to trapping her and obviously either no one told you or knew when they asked for the trap. Everyone was trying to help her and even if the worst happens and the kittens don't make it, it is still a better result then if she had had those kittens alone on the street. I have seen too many kittens this year abandoned by mothers who don't know how to care for them; across the many people who TNR and foster this year there are already over a dozen that I know about just in the last two weeks and five fosters I know. You called your vet and took their advice.

Please do not beat yourself up for a situation that really couldn't have gone any other way. What matters now is focusing on helping the little one through whatever comes next.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dannisair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dropped her off this mo

Dannisair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dropped her off this morning and am waiting to hear from Vet. I will update as soon as I know! Thank you for taking the time to respond, I was very disheartened and needed an uplifting message

Dannisair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens were deformed and deceased. Since I don't know much about her they don't really know why other than she is young. Sh had a C section and spay, she will hopefully have a quick recovery God gained some baby angels; Im glad I was persistent with my vet to get her in so now she can make a full recovery.

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear the kittens didn't make it. The mom is very lucky to have had you and in reality it's unlikely she'll be affected by their loss at all, so try not to be too hard on yourself. In the end she'll recover quicker and be happy and healthy in no time. Kitten season is starting early here and gearing up to be intense already, so there will be lots of/too many opportunities to rescue pregnant and nursing moms.

Dannisair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have rescued/TNRed over 200 kittens and kitties so I know there will be plenty. I just always want to do the right thing for them-there are not enough homes for all these kitties (as I stare at my colony of 12 ready for afternoon sunbathing and scratches) and I'm thankful that, for now, I do not need to worry about finding homes for these furbabies or fearing fading kitten sydrome. They are in a much better place. I hope soon people will become more supportive of TNR and we can forget there ever was a "kitten season"

Dannisair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. You are a true blessing with your wise words and encouragement ❤

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the kittens were deformed there is a really good chance she wouldn't have survived if she hadn't been trapped. I wouldn't be surprised if the problems she was having were completely because of problems with the kittens and not because she was trapped. You likely saved her life and now she can have a better one. She really is a cutie.

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful. It's hard not to take each loss hard even knowing there's so many kittens, it's a strange thing. You did all you could and now neither the mom or kittens will suffer. Your community is lucky to have you working so hard to TNR, the day there's no more kitten season will be a true blessing!

Dannisair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fiancé just said the same thing! Funny how as soon as you doubt yourself it turns out it was all part of Gods plan. She has definitely made a bigger impact to me on how important TNR really is. Thank you ladies so much for your kind words and hopefully we will all have a good kitten season with few heartbreaks.

One of my favorite stories is the Starfish Story, not sure if you ladies have heard it (if you google it will pop up). This circumstance reminds me of it..

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry the kittens didn't make it, but glad that beautiful mama got spayed, and is doing ok.

Sorry it was a sad reason that brought you to The Cat Site, but if you decide to stick around we have a forum dedicated to Caring for Strays and Ferals where I think you'll fit right in.:)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Little Ones, dream you deep. You never even started your tiny lives, but they had meaning, and are marked. You are mourned.