Help?

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I am still quite new to TNR so I have only had a handful of cats done. Lsat night I picked up 2 kittens of about 4 months. A girl and a boy. While they both seem pretty nervous, the boy seems rather lethargic compared to the girl. I have seen him eat but he hasn't come out of the carrier at all. The carrier is in a large cage and sitting open so they can move in and out. The girl has been out to use the litter and eat dry food. I haven't seen him out at all but he did poke his head out to eat some canned food. Now he is just flopped on his side - not even alert to noises.

Is this a problem? Should I take him to the vet? When do you know there is an issue? They are both feral so I wouldn't want to reach in and grab them unless it is important.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tough call on this. Watch him for a day or so to see how he does. He may just be exhausted and frightened. The fact he ate canned food is a good sign.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tough call on this. Watch him for a day or so to see how he does. He may just be exhausted and frightened. The fact he ate canned food is a good sign.
I thought the eating was positive. He came out again to have some dry food and water. He might just be depressed. His sister comes out to crawl on things a little but they both are spending their time hiding in the carrier.

Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would hope he gets more comfortable and begins to relax a little soon. Kittens usually are very active and curious, but when they are feral they have to get comfortable with humans and their new environment first.

Give it some time! I'd love to see a picture of them! :)

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here they are! The black and white one is the female and the tabby is the male. He is a lot more sleepy than she is but they both have spent most of the day snuggled up like this.

ScullyMulder.jpeg ScullyMulder.jpeg ScullyMulder2.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are just precious! I suspect they are just adjusting. Tabbies are well-known for their super laid back personalities. Thank you for rescuing them!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean you just picked them up from spay/neuter surgeries, or are you fostering until they get them scheduled? The anesthesia can make them a little lethargic for a day or two. It is good he's eating.

They sure are cute! :lovecat2:

I brought home my first TNR kitten the first of February. She was 4 months old (I kept her :lovecat:). I wouldn't want you to get injured certainly, but if the kittens are not hissing or taking swipes at you, you can start to socialize them. My kitten was terrified, but not at all aggressive, so I started picking her up from the first day. Trust your instincts though. If their body language appears that they would fight, then leave them be to adjust and come out on their own. You can use a long handled duster to see how they react to being touched.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Orange&White!

I picked them up for TNR and was "planning" on releasing them in a few days. I have 3 cats already (one is a feral from the last batch of kittens from this colony). Add these 2 plus the 3 siblings and mama that also need to be trapped...I just don't have room in my small condo for them all. :-( My quarantine is less than optimal as it is - to the point where I don't want to describe it because I know it is subpar but I have a small condo and few options.

That said, they are both awake and alert today and I am far more confident they are both perfectly fine. The little black and white one is rather social. She will sniff my hand, take a treat and I have picked her up without incident! I can't let her back outside now!!! I will email every refuge I know to find a foster home.

The little tabby is a bit more aggressive. He stays hidden and will hiss if I get my hand too close. I am trying to decide what to do with him. I have another 24 hours before the next batch of trapped cats come through so we will see. I might need another cage........and a new boyfriend when mine disowns me LOL!!!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's a good update! It sounds very positive that the little tuxedo can find a permanent indoor home. Poor little tabby doesn't know what he's missing out on yet. So does he just get released back to the outdoor colony if he doesn't settle down with the hissing, or does he have a foster opportunity?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is young enough to be socialized and get a proper home. It looks like he and his sister are bonded. Perhaps they should stay together.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is young enough to be socialized and get a proper home. It looks like he and his sister are bonded. Perhaps they should stay together.
In a perfect world I could get them everything they need but I have very limited resources. I am alone...I am not part of any animal rescue network. I have a small condo - about 900 sq/ft and five cats (3 of my own and now these little guys). There are 3 more kittens and their mom out there that need to be trapped and sterilized. I am emailing all of the rescue agencies I know of to see if they can take one or both of them. At this point I am promising the rescues that I will pay for their booster vaccines and deworming medication if they can get foster homes for them. Most places are full but I have a line on one place that has room for 1 kitten and I can foster maybe one more here. Doesn't help much for the 3 more out there but one at a time!!!!!