Help!

Christina Pilliod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male cat named Simon (neutered) and a female cat named MJ who wasn't spayed yet but was let out when someone broke into our house. Long story short, she got pregnant and had her litter two days ago. Now Simon hisses and gets defensive with MJ and I'm so bummed because they used to be best friends and always played together. Are her kittens in danger and will this pass or is this the end of their friendship? And is there anything I can do?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep them separate until the kittens are weaned. In some rare cases females will let males near kittens or even help with kittens. But in most cases males are a threat to the kittens and the females will protect their kittens. It is not uncommon for females to keep their kittens away from any other cats, male or female. Once the kittens are weaned (and the female spayed) things should settle back down. You may have to reintroduce them due to the time but they will get back to normal eventually.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend lots of extra play and grooming with a cheap plasticcomb for Simon. The kittens probably smell some of their father and to Simon, these new babies are intruders. Please feed a good quality kitten chow of 40% protein to MJ, to help her body produce rich milk without robbing her own body of its calcium and other nutrients. You can also offer KMR mixed or sprinkled dry onto her foid, as per label directions. You can let Simon indulge in a tiny amount, too, but not too much. And i second keeping him away from the kittens. Meanwhile, read up on cat introductions so when the kittens are older, they can properly meet their Uncle Simon....and we TCSers love pics! * hint*