Help

Mark Bingham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 1/2 yr old cat that got out 3 weeks ago and will not come back in. We have had a private company try to trap her but she will not go to a trap. We are in the process of moving and do not want to leave her. She will not come to us either and we cannot get close enough to net her. Are there any ideas on how to catch the girl. Are there any companies that could assist with methods other than trapping. I'm in Greensboro, NC
Need help ASAP as we are out by the end of this month

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she have a favorite food? Is she feral? When my cat got out, the only thing that brought him back was his dry food, he couldn't resist it and I grabbed him while he was eating.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here are some tips that may be helpful:
General Pet Search Tips | Anchor Animal Hospital
Lost Cat Behavior – Missing Pet Partnership

I know how disheartening it is when you've lost one of your furries. One of mine got out of the house and was gone for about 6 weeks. Turns out she was right next door, under their front porch, apparently terrified. She wouldn't come to us for anything until she finally realized who we were. Once we got her back inside, she never went near the front door again :wink:. I sure hope you are able to catch her before you move.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Saving Graces 4 Felines is a TNR and adoption group in Greenville. They may have some tips on how to trap a shy cat. You can google them. Good luck! I know how frantic-making this sort of thing is!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she ever been trapped before thus not wanting to go into a trap? Did the company assisting you try a drop trap?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with asking a feral rescue group. They may have drop traps. Also, some private companies trap many species and do not clean their traps enough for a cat's sensitive nose. Since kitties are more often prey than predator, they instinctively avoid raccoons, foxes, coyotes, etc. Sending prayers and vibes that you collect her before the big move!
Forgot to ask - have you put one of her litterboxes outside in a secluded area, to help her keep her territory established?