Help! Worried about my soulmate!

Kazoda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi... My cat Keechee will be 2 in August. I rescued her and her litter mates when her feral mom gave birth in the hatchway of my basement. Although I didn't want a cat, I was able to find homes for all but her. Turns out she's the best companion a girl could ask for. She's been an indoor cat her entire life, except for 3 days in Feb when she somehow got out. If you guessed that she got pregnant during her time out, you'd be right. 58 days would be April 6th. Yesterday, on 4/4 she started having contractions and you could see her pushing, just barely. I called the vet 3 times throughout the night because even though she's contracting, she's not accomplishing anything. First they said call back in an hour, then call back in two. Eventually they told me she would need to have an emergency c-section. They quoted a price of $2900-$3500. That doesn't include the $235 just to walk through the door, and the $300 x-ray. I'm on disability and already don't make it though the month, I have no savings. Fast forward to now, it's 2:48am on 4/6 and she still hasn't delivered even one kitten. She is still contracting, and still pushing. She is totally relaxed, she's purring, still eating and drinking and has even used the litter box. She's been resting peacefully while sleeping off and on and she gets out of her nest to stretch on occasion. She's not pushing constantly. Her contractions are about 5 minutes apart and when she does push it's only for 2 or 3 seconds so she's not straining at all. She's not yowling or moaning, she's not even panting. If it weren't for the contractions I would say she's completely normal. Everything I've read says that once she begins pushing she should deliver within 30 minutes or it's an emergency. With every minute that passes with no kittens the more panicked and worried I become. I don't have the money to take her to the vet. How long can this go on? Will there be clear and defined signs that she's in distress if it happens? I'm so worried about her. I'm hoping someone can ease my worried mind...

Jazel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi... My cat Keechee will be 2 in August. I rescued her and her litter mates when her feral mom gave birth in the hatchway of my basement. Although I didn't want a cat, I was able to find homes for all but her. Turns out she's the best companion a girl could ask for. She's been an indoor cat her entire life, except for 3 days in Feb when she somehow got out. If you guessed that she got pregnant during her time out, you'd be right. 58 days would be April 6th. Yesterday, on 4/4 she started having contractions and you could see her pushing, just barely. I called the vet 3 times throughout the night because even though she's contracting, she's not accomplishing anything. First they said call back in an hour, then call back in two. Eventually they told me she would need to have an emergency c-section. They quoted a price of $2900-$3500. That doesn't include the $235 just to walk through the door, and the $300 x-ray. I'm on disability and already don't make it though the month, I have no savings. Fast forward to now, it's 2:48am on 4/6 and she still hasn't delivered even one kitten. She is still contracting, and still pushing. She is totally relaxed, she's purring, still eating and drinking and has even used the litter box. She's been resting peacefully while sleeping off and on and she gets out of her nest to stretch on occasion. She's not pushing constantly. Her contractions are about 5 minutes apart and when she does push it's only for 2 or 3 seconds so she's not straining at all. She's not yowling or moaning, she's not even panting. If it weren't for the contractions I would say she's completely normal. Everything I've read says that once she begins pushing she should deliver within 30 minutes or it's an emergency. With every minute that passes with no kittens the more panicked and worried I become. I don't have the money to take her to the vet. How long can this go on? Will there be clear and defined signs that she's in distress if it happens? I'm so worried about her. I'm hoping someone can ease my worried mind...
How is your baby doing now? Try not to stress, she will sense your feelings. If this is her first litter, give her time. If she allows, gently rub her belly. Start around her chest area and Gently rub downward, it can feel good, relaxing, and its helps her. You can also feel her kittens, maybe you can count them!? It Sounds to me like shes not quite ready to actually deliver. Look at the area from where she will deliver, not sure which Words I am allowed to use! If she is dialated, she is getting there. Relax. She will relax if you do. Kiki, my oldest girl, took a while to deliver her first litter, actually had her very last kitten on Third day! I just watched tv, on Very Low sound, spoke to her in a calm soft voice, gently rubbed her tummy, all while just being there for her. You are her support system, she will do fine, she will know what to do. Read a book or whatever calms You! You will See dialation and Hear her when she is going to deliver her first kitten. I video taped from #1 - #5. Unless you plan to keep and take care of more kittens, may I suggest spaying her later? Kiki was feral when I took her in, she was pregnant already, yet she let me sit with her and rub her tummy, But I Only got to touch her during that time!! I kept them, they are great hunters. You sound very caring. Bless you & your furbaby. Relax & Enjoy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kazoda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is your baby doing now? Try not to stress, she will sense your feelings. If this is her first litter, give her time. If she allows, gently rub her belly. Start around her chest area and Gently rub downward, it can feel good, relaxing, and its helps her. You can also feel her kittens, maybe you can count them!? It Sounds to me like shes not quite ready to actually deliver. Look at the area from where she will deliver, not sure which Words I am allowed to use! If she is dialated, she is getting there. Relax. She will relax if you do. Kiki, my oldest girl, took a while to deliver her first litter, actually had her very last kitten on Third day! I just watched tv, on Very Low sound, spoke to her in a calm soft voice, gently rubbed her tummy, all while just being there for her. You are her support system, she will do fine, she will know what to do. Read a book or whatever calms You! You will See dialation and Hear her when she is going to deliver her first kitten. I video taped from #1 - #5. Unless you plan to keep and take care of more kittens, may I suggest spaying her later? Kiki was feral when I took her in, she was pregnant already, yet she let me sit with her and rub her tummy, But I Only got to touch her during that time!! I kept them, they are great hunters. You sound very caring. Bless you & your furbaby. Relax & Enjoy.
Thank you so much for replying.... She's sleeping peacefully. I've been up with her the whole time petting and massaging her. For the most part she welcomes it but I've noticed she's not a fan of me touching her belly so I try to avoid doing that. I could feel the kittens moving allot beforr she started having contractions, but haven't felt them much since. I'm a little nervous about that. I can't really tell if she's dilating, but I have noticed some discharge. I thought it might be her mucus plug. At least, that's what I'm hoping it is. I'm super tired and having a hard time keeping my eyes open. I'm so afraid I'm going to fall asleep and that's the time when she'll need me. Not sure I can hold out much longer... Wish me luck! Thank you again for replying, it made me feel much better...

Jazel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for replying.... She's sleeping peacefully. I've been up with her the whole time petting and massaging her. For the most part she welcomes it but I've noticed she's not a fan of me touching her belly so I try to avoid doing that. I could feel the kittens moving allot beforr she started having contractions, but haven't felt them much since. I'm a little nervous about that. I can't really tell if she's dilating, but I have noticed some discharge. I thought it might be her mucus plug. At least, that's what I'm hoping it is. I'm super tired and having a hard time keeping my eyes open. I'm so afraid I'm going to fall asleep and that's the time when she'll need me. Not sure I can hold out much longer... Wish me luck! Thank you again for replying, it made me feel much better...
Good Luck! Get some sleep. She may yowl when she is having her first kitten, I am sure you will wake up. Then again, she may be one of those private Mamas. As long as she knows you care,and she already knows you do, she will be fine. I am going to sleep now. Sleep well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder is it REALLY pushing? Is the vulva opening? Because it could be the precontractions, what they are called [Braxton - Hicks]. These come typically several days before the selfe delivery. Human woman have this too... Its a way of nature to prepare the muscles.... And the time for these pre contractions would be precisely on the schedule as its now.

I hope this is so, because you are telling otherwise she is fine, no pity on her. (I havent read yet the whole post nor thread).

Anyway, during the time give her calcium rich food, whatever she takes and you have at home. Lack of calcium may cause weak labor...

Now I shall read more, and perhaps return with extra.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok. My guess now, it IS the Braxton Hicks... And if so, you observe but may take it easy... Otherwise it is THE prelabor... Which MAY be even over 24 hours, even if its usually shorter.

you have right, the self active pushing phase shouldnt be long, shorter than with women.... But apparently it isnt not the case here.

Relax! Continue to be watchfull, but you can relax for the moment.

Give her calcium rich food, cant hurt, may help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. IF this is the prelabor for real, and she delivers today or tomorrow, the kittens will probably be premature. IF they arent too premature, ie dies in just a few hours, there IS a chance they may survive...
But you must fight for them vigorously! Be prepared to handfeed them.... Best with raw goats milk, but otherwise with some good kmr. You will probably use a syringe or a dropper; its easier so for the very weak...
Be sure there is warm and cozy, and if possible, humid in the air (their lungs may be not fully developed)...

If they are much premature, its not sure momma recognizes them as her babies; as her hormones arent in in full... IF so, YOU must take full charge...
Lotsa jobb, but its doable...

Ps. What country are you in? Canada? Canada is renown for very high vet prices...

Kazoda Kazoda

Kazoda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I finally fell asleep. When I woke up she was no longer in her nest. She isn't pregnant anymore, but I can't find any baby/babies 😥 I've looked everywhere. When I fell asleep she was sleeping comfortably and hadn't been pushing for some time and I noticed that her belly no longer looked swollen. I assumed it was because the baby/babies had moved down. She wasn't very big to begin with. She's full of milk but otherwise acting very normal. Eating and drinking. I've been watching her for over an hour and she is content sitting on my daughter's lap. I'm so very confused.

Kazoda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ps. IF this is the prelabor for real, and she delivers today or tomorrow, the kittens will probably be premature. IF they arent too premature, ie dies in just a few hours, there IS a chance they may survive...
But you must fight for them vigorously! Be prepared to handfeed them.... Best with raw goats milk, but otherwise with some good kmr. You will probably use a syringe or a dropper; its easier so for the very weak...
Be sure there is warm and cozy, and if possible, humid in the air (their lungs may be not fully developed)...

If they are much premature, its not sure momma recognizes them as her babies; as her hormones arent in in full... IF so, YOU must take full charge...
Lotsa jobb, but its doable...

Ps. What country are you in? Canada? Canada is renown for very high vet prices...

Kazoda Kazoda
Oh, I'm in the US. When I looked up the average cost of a c-section it was about $1000. The vet in my area is definitely over charging.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So I finally fell asleep. When I woke up she was no longer in her nest. She isn't pregnant anymore, but I can't find any baby/babies 😥 I've looked everywhere. When I fell asleep she was sleeping comfortably and hadn't been pushing for some time and I noticed that her belly no longer looked swollen. I assumed it was because the baby/babies had moved down. She wasn't very big to begin with. She's full of milk but otherwise acting very normal. Eating and drinking. I've been watching her for over an hour and she is content sitting on my daughter's lap. I'm so very confused.
She may have dropped! Delivery in 2 days!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. My guess is she dropped; it MAY look as she suddenly isnt not preg no more. And will deliver as usual in a day or two....

But if she had spontan abortion, its possible... If so, she may have eaten up the results if they were much premature and thus, dead.... You must go around and search, but you may find nothing, perhaps just a wet spot...
They do so in nature and by instincts. They dont want to attract predators.

Jazel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feel her belly. You should be able to Feel babies in there. Look at her vagina to see if it looks different. Do you have any pics of her belly before and now? How many hours passed? I will ask you more ?'s later, just trying to understand and help also! Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feel her belly. You should be able to Feel babies in there. Look at her vagina to see if it looks different. Do you have any pics of her belly before and now? How many hours passed? I will ask you more ?'s later, just trying to understand and help also! Good Luck
Well???? Any news???

Last edited:

Kazoda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi... So I searched hi and low, in every nook and cranny and have not found any evidence of kittens or delivery. At first she was so full of milk that her teets were huge and rock hard. By the end of the day they started to go down, and now they are almost back to normal. She was never ever sloppy or wet on her hind end. There are no signs of going into labor now, or that she's pregnant. She's a hundred percent back to normal. I don't think she had many babies to begin with because she wasn't huge, but she was definitely pregnant because we could feel the babies/baby moving. I'm sooooooooo totally confused and puzzled as to what happened. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone!

Kazoda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately I do not have any photos from before. She was pushing for a total of about 36 hours but for most of that time she was barely pushing. She only really pushed hard and strained for around two hours, and that was around the 24 hour mark. While all of this was happening she was perfectly content. Sleeping, eating, drinking, purring, and using the litter box. We could feel movement in her belly for a while before she started pushing and while she was pushing. I have tried to see if I can feel movement a number of times since and I can't. I've been keeping a close eye on her and she's just fine, as if nothing happened.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still think she might have just dropped and will have them in a few days. The kittens get lined up in the uterus and don't move as much. Just keep an eye out, not much else to do.

Kazoda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think she could've eaten them. Her contractions started at 56 days and she wasn't out of my sight until 58 days. That's full term... Her belly isn't swollen like it was, but she's also not as slim as she normally is. I hope what you're saying is right and that she just dropped... Still, she did all of that laboring and initially filled with milk... But then, what do I know!?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think she could've eaten them. Her contractions started at 56 days and she wasn't out of my sight until 58 days. That's full term... Her belly isn't swollen like it was, but she's also not as slim as she normally is. I hope what you're saying is right and that she just dropped... Still, she did all of that laboring and initially filled with milk... But then, what do I know!?
If you are worried you can contact the vet and have her be checked out. :) They would tell you if she's still pregnant or not. $300 for an xray is way too high, I would think that vet is just very high in prices. Some cats do absorbs pregnancies. You can call around for prices as every vet can have different prices. If she's not preggers I would get her spayed asap. Some rescues do offer rescue rates for lower in cost spays as well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is puzzling. Full term is 63-68 days. I think you should get her vet checked. She may have had a false pregnancy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
58 days is the very earliest they could be viable. 63 days is more common. They can go up to 68 days, I've even heard of 70-71. So, yep, sounds like they dropped and will be here in a few days. Keep us updated!

As for the milk and the appearance of labor, just ask anybody who has ever been pregnant: pregnancy is weird. All kind of hormones kicking around, who knows what's gonna happen. False labor is common, so is breast leakage.