Help With Worms!

CatMom912

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. So I have 3 cats. 2 females, and 1 male. One female ran out the door, and was gone for 3 weeks. Finally came home, and she's pregnant. After they were born I noticed the Mom losing quit a bit of noticeably weight. I just assumed it was from the kittens nursing. Fast forward a few days ago, and I saw 2 piles of cat throw up in the hall. My cats NEVER throw up so I was worried. Mama's cat color was getting lighter, and not as vibrant as it had been. She's been lathargic, and anemic some. Just not much energy. Sits around most days. I just assumed it was the babies kind of sucking the life out of her so as soon as they were old enough I rehomed them. Well today I just rehomed the last kitten, and the couple texted me saying the kitten popped in the kennel, and there's worms in it. So I looked up symptoms, and I'm almost positive they have it. Only problem is I don't have any money left over right now to take them into the vet. I had to get the Mama spayed right after they were born so that pretty much took up all my extra money. Is there anything I can do, or get for them at home so I don't have to go to the vet? I'll do anything to make them better. I blame myself for not realizing it sooner...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What worms were there? Round or tape?

Although she may have both.

I would suggest an all round dewormer - either Drontal by the same Bayer as above,

Or. Milbomax.

Both are mild and safe.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps as momma is sick a vet visit is wise anyway.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If it’s just tapeworms then drontal will take care of it. Two doses 10 days apart. The Bayer pills shown above are available over the counter and are effective.

Mom sounds like she needs TLC. What are you feeding her? She can have boiled white rice, boiled chicken with no spices -just salt. She can have cheese and plain yogurt. Does she have dry food 24/7? Wet food meals 2-3x daily?

Does she have fever? Is her milk dried up? I wonder about infection.

Also, what age were her kittens when you rehomed them?

C CatMom912

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was wrong with her that she had to be spayed right after birth? That's not normal, so I'm afraid maybe whatever caused that might be causing complications now. I'd really recommend a vet visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatMom912

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I just saw all these comments. I got some over the counter dewormer, and gave it to all 3 cats about a week ago. They seem to be doing better. No more throwing up, or diarrhea. Color is even coming back. I have no idea what kind of worm it was. I never saw them. Not even in the litter box that's why I was very shocked, and surprised to find out from the adopter. Mom didn't medically need to be spayed after birth, but I chose to so we didn't have to worry about it again. I had to let the kittens go at 2 months old. I know it's best to wait until they're 12 weeks, but the Mom was really bad, and I assumed it was from them. Yes she has access to food, amd water 24/7. I was just giving her Purina Kit And Kaboodle cat food.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear they are all settling down.

Are your other two cats fixed already? We can help you to find a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area if needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatMom912

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they're fixed. The Mama cat was a stray who showed up at my door. I had an appointment to get her spayed, but I only had her about a week before she ran outside so I didn't have time. That's why I got her spayed right after she had them.