Help With Very Sick Feral

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a feral cat in my neighborhood who is in very poor shape. I'm pretty certain he has leukemia/AIDS. Being feral, of course, he can't be picked up. I need to trap him, but, am unsure if vets even typically work with ferals and if they would, at least, help me end his suffering.

To those with experience (and yes I'll call to find out from local vets), do vets typically take on ferals? Do they have sedatives to deal with them?

Thanks.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi C cc0000 , thank you for taking the interest in this feral kitty. Firstly, you may want to check out the vets around your area if they treat ferals cats and secondly, check if you have a rescue group in your area. If there is one or maybe two, sound them up and enlist their help in trapping this kitty but first check with the vet first if the treat feral cats else if you managed to trap this kitty and bring to the vet, you might be turned away if they don’t and you have to release it and recapture it again which may be a little difficult as it has been trapped before.

This way, you won’t waste your efforts and stress the kitty. Some clinics may have traps that they loan out so you may want to check with them on this too. But if there’s a rescue group, help is better from them.

Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi C cc0000 , thank you for taking the interest in this feral kitty. Firstly, you may want to check out the vets around your area if they treat ferals cats and secondly, check if you have a rescue group in your area. If there is one or maybe two, sound them up and enlist their help in trapping this kitty but first check with the vet first if the treat feral cats else if you managed to trap this kitty and bring to the vet, you might be turned away if they don’t and you have to release it and recapture it again which may be a little difficult as it has been trapped before.

This way, you won’t waste your efforts and stress the kitty. Some clinics may have traps that they loan out so you may want to check with them on this too. But if there’s a rescue group, help is better from them.

Please keep us posted.
There is only 1 rescue group that would help (the others always say they are overfilled), but, they don't help with trapping the cat, which is my main issue. So, it's pointless for me to use them if a vet will see the cat. They will just euthanize the animal. I can do that myself (money is not the issue) I just don't know how/if vets would deal with this animal and how to safely trap it.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So first check which vet will see the cat and once you get the confirmation that the vet is willing to see and treat the cat, then you go trap the cat.

In which way the rescue group is helping you? Can you borrow a humane trap to safely trap the cat from the rescue group?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a Humane Society near you? They lend or rent out traps. You could also purchase one from Tractor Supply for 20 dollars..

Most vets are able to administer a sedative through the trap and then examine and do lab work on the cat. If you explain your situation, I'm sure some vet will be willing to treat him. If he has a treatable infection, they may give him an antibiotic shot. Sometimes a bad upper respiratory infection can land a cat in bad shape, as can a bad parasite infestation. If he doesn't have Feline AIDS or Leukemia, get him neutered while he's at the vet. It's very difficult to trap a cat twice, and neutering will give him a better life. The SNAP test is what they do to test him for FIV and felv. If he has one of those illnesses, the kindest course of action would be to have him euthanized--especially if he does not have a caregiver to provide food for him and a warm pet shelter. Indoor cats with FIV (AIDS ) can live several years, but an outdoor feral cat with FIV will not only infect other cats he may fight with, but will suffer a great deal as the illness progresses. Good luck and thanks for caring about this cat.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, just call or email the vets in your town and ask them if they treat ferals. That's what I had to do with Demi, some said no, but two vets said yes. Like the others said, if you use a trap, they can give the cat a sedative through the bars. Thank you so much for helping him! Please let us know what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've purchased a trap, the issue is getting a vet to take him on and getting him in the trap and quickly to a vet after. I don't want him sitting in there for hours or days, but, only one vet here allows walk-ins. Also, what about a litter box and food and water? Does that all typically fit in one of these traps?

The Humane Society and other rescues in my area (except 1 farther out) never help. They always say they can't as they have too many animals. Here, if you don't have money and don't take care of a stray/feral animal yourself, you're pretty much out of luck. There aren't even places that simply euthanize sick animals. Either you help the animal or they're left to suffer.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt a litterbox would fit in one of those traps. Maybe use a puppy pee pad? Does the vet who allows walk-ins treat ferals? That would probably be your best bet. That way you could take him as soon as you catch him.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your best bet would be to take him to an emergency vet clinic, most are open 24/7 and take walk-in pets. I would emphasize that he's ill, and will need to be sedated, not that he's feral. Let them know that you will call them when he is trapped to let them know that you are on the way.

There's a lot of info on this side and also on the internet about how to use a humane trap to trap a feral. The traps are small, and don't accommodate a litter box. Place a small hand towel on the floor of the trap and sprinkle dirt and some Twigs or leaves on it. Put smelly food, such as tuna fish at the very end so that he needs to step on the metal plate to set off the trap in order to get at the food. Watch and wait. Don't just leave the trap out there for hours and not be attentive. As soon as he steps into the trap and the trap goes off, cover the trap with a large towel. This will calm him down. Then put him in the trap into the back seat of your car and transport him to the vet. Your only obstacle would be if he has no appetite and won't go into the trap for the food.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please follow all of the advice just above....one other thing... start by leaving food about a foot away from the trap opening, and then into the trap about every 6 inches or so on a small piece of paper towel (so it is easier to clean up). (Just a mouthful at each spot). He may eat his way into the trap on the first day, but if not, remove all of the food and start over the next day. Always do the feeding at the same time each day. If on the first day he has eaten at any spot along the food trail..then don't put food down in those spots the next time. Start with where he left off.

Please read as much as you can about trapping on this site. It will help to alert you to all the things you might want to know so you can be comfortable throughout the process.

An emergency vet will handle a feral. They are trained to handle any kind of cat, and you will have an emergency with an injured, trapped feral.

Good luck and thanks so much for caring.