Help With Trapped Cat.

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to the animal shelter and borrowed their trap. I set it up about an hour ago. The black feral cat went right in and is now trapped. I put a blanket over the trap to cut down on its trauma. I put the cage in my garage. I don't think I can feed it as its too scared. I am going to take it in tomorrow around 6am to have him fixed and shots. Is there anything I should do tonight for him?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi edteach, I think it is ok to leave him in the cage as he is now and it’s good to lessen the trauma. Hopefully he has eaten prior the trapping. Anyway, before the surgery, they have to abstain from food for at least 8 hours before the surgery if he’s not a very young cat.

Just keep him calm and comfortable over the night and make sure he dosen’t bash against the cage.

Please keep us posted on how well the whole thing went.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I really screwed up. I called the spay and nuter place and they are not doing surgery till Jan 2. I have a call into the local vet to see what they can do. I really don't want to let him go because I may not get him into the cage again. I can also call the shelter and see if they have a place to keep him till I can get him in.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yea that’s right. He might not be easy to be trapped again. Hope the shelter can keep him for awhile or the other local vet can perform the surgery.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was first trapping I mixed up an appointment date and had trapped 4 ferals the night before. I didn't know what to do.I ended up driving around town to each vet hospital to see if anyone could fix them. After the third try I found one who could do them all. What a relief that was. You could try the same in your area. It helps if you have the cat already trapped and in your car. You might get a "yes" in person that you might not have gotten over the phone. Good luck and thanks a million for doing the trapping.

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put him in the cage on a rug in my garage. I put a blanket over the cage and put an electric heater about a foot from the end of the cage. Made sure it was not over heating but keeping him warm. This AM I took water out to him but could not get him to move so I could open the door. I stuck my finger in the cage and ran it over him and he did not react. He may not be quite as wild as I thought. I don't want to give him too much in case I can get him in this AM. I have a call into the local vet and the attendant said she would talk to the Dr. this AM. I am hoping the Dr is one who understands this is not someone trying to push ahead but I have a feral cat I am willing to pay for out of pocket to help. My back up plan if I can not find a vet to take him is to call back to the shelter I got the trap from and see if they have a place they can keep him for a week until I can get him into the spay/nutter place. I would let him out in the garage but I have seen cats find a place to hide and its near impossible to get them again even in an enclosed area. He only hissed at me once that was right after he was trapped and I threw the blanket over his cage. After that he has been very quiet. Even if for some reason he belongs to someone they are not taking care of him and should have had him Nuttered. I won't feel bad about doing this if he is someones cat. We don't need more little kitten as much as I love them in need of homes.

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Been on the phone all AM,. Found a Vet that will take him in tomorrow AM. Told me give him food and water and then take it away after 9PM tonight. 65 bucks for nutter and shots. Its a bit more but he will get done.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful! Has he eaten, had water, or used the litter box?

That's a good price for neuter and shots. You are a saint!

Let us know how he does.

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well its done. Other than a set back that my furnace is in the garage and has an air intake so his spray went through the house, had to put in a charcoal filter and air it out. Back to normal today. He went through surgery fine. The vet said they even held him. He did go crazy when three were standing there watching him and they had to put him in the cage. I took in a large cage so he did not have to go into the trap. He had to stay in for one night so I never though to put him in my motorcycle covered trailer. If he did his spray in there not as big a deal. He is there till about 730 am or 8 with a small heater on. I will turn him loose then. It cost a bit more but I got it done.