Help With New Cat/old Cat Introductions

ejbest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, the history: We had 2 litter brothers, Shadow & Critter from 9 wks. old. We lost Shadow 3 months ago due to complications from long term illnesses. The 2 made it to 14+ yrs. before the inevitable happened. Critter, the remaining cat was having trouble with the loss. They had never been separate in those yrs.. After much thought and discussion with vets, we too k the chance and brought in a 12 month old, "Kattin"(Beastie) who seemed to fit the bill; easy going, good with other cats/kittens in the shelter and a people cat.
Over the last 2 months, we have done EVERYTHING suggested to properly introdue the 2 cats: separated with the new cat in a "safe room", introductions through closed doors, intro through a screened in/glassed doorway, etc. over a period of the firstmonth. We began giving the new cat some solo time to get to know the house, a few hrs. a day. We began feeding them within sight of each other, moving the dishes closer over a week. They have been getting time together in the house with us monitoring.
All has sounded like a plan. Critter, the elder cat is having none of it. When the young cat initializes a confrontation/meeting, it eventually winds up in a hissing/yowling /swatting match.
In MOST of these "meetings", the new cat, Beastie, chirps, rolling purrs, flopping down (submission, I guess) in front of Critter. He will have none of it. We've had 3 occasions when Crit pushed Beastie too far and all Hell broke loose, with Critter hiding and demoralized.
After all this, we feel Critter may be sinking into mild depression. He has stopped most of the things he loves to do., hides, sleeps more than usual and is afraid of his own home. He is still eating, though and taking treats.
We make sure we give both equal attention& love but don't know what else to do. We've also gone the FelWay/cat s=tress drops, too. You name it, we've done it. HELP!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems that every once in a great while, a younger cat that initially just wants to play with the older can become genuinely aggressive when the older cat defensively hisses/growls/swats. Very rare it seems, but this is what happened with my prior cats 12 years ago or so, and my older cat ended up getting bitten on two separate occasions. Not sure what advice to offer here, I didn't solve that issue, I failed, and the older cat lived mostly in the furnished basement to maintain separation. If you are or get in this situation, I think its considerably harder to deal with than the usual variants of these situations. The traditional advice would be to redo the introduction.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would also add that two months is no time at all in the world of cat introductions. Especially since Critter is probably still missing Shadow. You will read a lot about cats who were fine in less than a week, or just a few weeks, but many, MANY successful introductions took months to accomplish. Also, older cats are more set in their ways, and you can expect longer adjustment times. Go back the the excellent articles that A ArtNJ suggested, and remember that you can only go as fast as the most reluctant cat! All is not lost here, we just need to backtrack a bit.