Help with my first time fostering kittens!

Alchemsyt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, so I am fostering 3 kittens for almost a month now - the eldest kitten is already socialized and comes from another foster home (4-5 months old) and 2 others are rescues (think ~2months old). I guess one of the 2 is a stray while the last one is a feral. This was my first time fostering kittens so I did not think of isolating them separately, rather I put them all together in one quiet room. As a result, they bonded with each other very well - so much that the 2 unsocialized kittens think of the eldest kitten as their mother and food provider. For example, I see the stray rubbing himself onto the eldest kitten when he wants food (while the eldest is asking me for food!). Likewise, the feral kitten initially used to hiss a lot and be scared of everything, but he bonded well with the other 2 kittens and now every time he is scared, he goes to them instead of hiding.

Socializing with the 2 is being very difficult as every time i bring up toys for one of those, the eldest comes jumping. Every time i get snacks, the eldest in another room comes running. Of course, the two younger kittens seem to follow the eldest every where and will come to play for a bit until he is there, and then will go away. I sit with them for all of their meals, and am usually in their room all day (working from home). I am trying petting, and it seemed like some success for the last week (petted when they were sleeping together or first meal in the morning). However, it doesn't feel like they have recognized it is me who gives them food or does the petting or plays with them.

I tried isolating the feral one in my bedroom (bathroom is too small to isolate, and we dont have enough rooms), and for 2 hours I could hear all three crying - the feral one from my bedroom door, and the other two from outside the door. I gave up then.

Is there something I can do now? Is it still okay to isolate them or is it too late? Should I ask the eldest kitten to be taken away to another foster home? (he is an angel though... the only one who comes to me for cuddles and wants to sleep on my lap all the time!! :( ) Would love to hear your thoughts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alchemsyt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To add - they move around the house as if it is their turf. Do zoomies without a bother of who is in the house (which made me think they are being more trustful). And recently, I tried holding them for a while as I read online that holding them for increased amount of time and frequency helps in socialization. Needless to say, I have been clawed many times....

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Thank you for fostering the kittens. I think that separating the kittens now would be cruel. They obviously depend on the older kitten for courage.

I would recommend that you stop trying to pet the younger kittens and also make sure to avoid looking at them, because that can be seen as a threat.
Continue to handle, play and pet the older kitten. Try to make the play sessions at the same time each day, if you can. Routine is important to cats. Try to play until the older kitten gets tired, then hopefully the younger ones will start to play.

If you can, hand feed the kittens, starting with the oldest kitten. Just little treats, and not allot. Allow the kittens to walk up to you. You have to let them initiate all contact with you. If they do try to interact with you, make sure you disengage before they do. You just want them to want to investigate you and decide to, and when they do, you let them for a second or two, then walk away, or turn away. They have to feel safe coming up to you.

None of this happens overnight. Feral kittens need allot of time before they feel safe. Often they won’t be like other domestic born and handled by people. Some will always be fearful and shy.

I have 2 cats, one was very feral, but with the help of a very domestic happy trusting older cat, she learned to be a very affectionate cat. It took a long time.

Just be patient and let them make the first move.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats learn from watching according to what I've read, and I can verify that from my own experience over the years. Seeing you play and interact with the older kitten may be helping the two younger ones learn that you are "okay."

Good luck! I imagine you have your hands full.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, so I am fostering 3 kittens for almost a month now - the eldest kitten is already socialized and comes from another foster home (4-5 months old) and 2 others are rescues (think ~2months old). I guess one of the 2 is a stray while the last one is a feral. This was my first time fostering kittens so I did not think of isolating them separately, rather I put them all together in one quiet room. As a result, they bonded with each other very well - so much that the 2 unsocialized kittens think of the eldest kitten as their mother and food provider. For example, I see the stray rubbing himself onto the eldest kitten when he wants food (while the eldest is asking me for food!). Likewise, the feral kitten initially used to hiss a lot and be scared of everything, but he bonded well with the other 2 kittens and now every time he is scared, he goes to them instead of hiding.

Socializing with the 2 is being very difficult as every time i bring up toys for one of those, the eldest comes jumping. Every time i get snacks, the eldest in another room comes running. Of course, the two younger kittens seem to follow the eldest every where and will come to play for a bit until he is there, and then will go away. I sit with them for all of their meals, and am usually in their room all day (working from home). I am trying petting, and it seemed like some success for the last week (petted when they were sleeping together or first meal in the morning). However, it doesn't feel like they have recognized it is me who gives them food or does the petting or plays with them.

I tried isolating the feral one in my bedroom (bathroom is too small to isolate, and we dont have enough rooms), and for 2 hours I could hear all three crying - the feral one from my bedroom door, and the other two from outside the door. I gave up then.

Is there something I can do now? Is it still okay to isolate them or is it too late? Should I ask the eldest kitten to be taken away to another foster home? (he is an angel though... the only one who comes to me for cuddles and wants to sleep on my lap all the time!! :( ) Would love to hear your thoughts.
Have all the kittens had shots for (leukemia,panleukemia,uri,all fixed)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alchemsyt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all for your tips! I will keep trying.
Have all the kittens had shots for (leukemia,panleukemia,uri,all fixed)?
Good question. The 2 kittens have come from association (were rescued 3 days ago when they were dropped at my doorstep). Think they were dewormed and given evicto for fleas etc. Pretty sure no shots. However, I went to the vet for a first visit and she did not mention anything about shots for the younger kittens.

For the eldest kitten who comes from another foster home, he does have a couple of shots (not sure which one though) , and a couple more lined up. Will check which ones it is.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can mate 3-4 months old. They catch leukemia by drinking the same water. Or if nursing from a mom with leukemia. When I rescued my vet told me to keep my cats separate til tested. Some vets require them to be a certain age

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The normal age to begin vaccines is around 8 weeks old, so do inquire about that for the younger two.

I agree with S silent meowlook , and would not separate them, and just give them more time. It may be that they’ll need a home all together, but time will tell. They certainly need to stay together for longer. The younger kittens will learn to play more as they mature.

Thank you for fostering!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
[QUOTE="Alchemsyt, post: 5716263. And recently, I tried holding them for a while as I read online that holding them for increased amount of time and frequency helps in socialization. Needless to say, I have been clawed many times....
[/QUOTE]

I definitely would not try to hold them. If they get to the point of trying to get away and scratching you, it damages your relationship with them and you have to go back to the beginning with earning their trust. There is allot of bad information out there about cat behavior.