Help with mom cat

Lilly-lux

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat had four kittens 4 days ago, one was born dead but other three appear to be doing fine. I am concerned about the mother. Her breathing seems to be quite fast occassionally and she is opening her mouth almost like trying to cool herself down. Second day after labour I took her to the vet to check her, after ultrasound they said that she is ok. But her breathing to me looks like something is not ok. Does anyone have any thoughts why is this happening? She is with kittens all the time, only when she needs to go to the bathroom she leaves them. Also she eats and drinks normally.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Give your vet a call, tell him what is going on, and ask about the possibility of low blood calcium, which can occur, especially after first litters. IF this is the issue, it is easily treatable.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
MOST stores carry goat milk. Here locally, it is generally in the baking products for some odd reason. It is canned, not refrigerated (until opening).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, this is the sign of very dangerous low calcium. She needs to drink full fat goats milk, kitten formula, yogurt, or cheese every day to rectify this. A vet can also give a calcium shot. How is she today?