Help With Kitten

Ally1952

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I adopted a 9-10 week old male kitten last week. I grew up with Siamese cats and dogs and finally pulled the trigger and adopted a little tabby mix. I have a 10.5 year old 20lb tripawd mixed breed dog who is literally the sweetest boy on the planet. Anyway, we went to the adoption event, met the kitten and brought him home. He’s intense. I’m not a cuddly person. My dog lies at my feet, never on the furniture, he’s never been a cuddly dog. None of our cats growing up ever slept with us or were particularly cuddly or needy. This cat wants to be on my face constantly. Turns out, I’m allergic to him. He constantly cries. I understand he’s a baby and he’s in a new place but I can’t let him sleep with me. He attacks my dog who’s so good and doesn’t retaliate. I squirt him and he doesn’t care. I took a shower and he screamed like I was killing him because I was “gone”. I have no idea what to do about this kitten. I have a small apartment so there is no way I’m getting this kitten a friend. I’m hoping he grows out of it but I’m also worried my neighbors are going to stop being so understanding and start complaining. When I go to work I have to lock him up in the bathroom for him own safety and my poor dog’s. Help! I don’t want to bring him back to the rescue if I can find a solution but I’m nearly there.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Ummm, I think I'd take him back and maybe try an older feline...no guarantee there either, but...

There's no way to stop him from screaming. Locking him in the bathroom, while quite understandable, isn't fair to him. You're allergic to him and are gone a lot, and he's upset when you're in the shower for those few minutes.
Taking him back now is more fair, before there's much bonding and gives him a chance to be adopted by a better fit. There's no failure here, it's simply that you-all aren't a good fit.

Last edited:

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's a kitten.....Kittens cry...they can also be intense and need to be played multiple times a day to drain their energy...and also him attacking your dog is probably him just trying to play.

I would say take him back since it doesn't seem like you really want to make it work or have the time to. Kittens and puppies are a lot of work and adopting one is something that should take lots of thinking and consideration because taking the kitten away from the shelter is a big change for him...then taking him back and uprooting him from what he thought would be a forever home is just going to confuse the poor guy even more now.

I would take him back and let him find a home where he will get cuddles like he clearly wants...and someone who will have time to play and train

*** And please don't squirt your cat...they don't understand why you are doing it and that is just going to make them scared of you

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2rescuekitties nailed it. Kittens should not leave their mom cat before the age of 12 weeks at the earliest. They are not as cute as a younger kitten, but they are on to a much more stable stage of their personality. Mom has taught them, how to be a cat by 12 weeks or more of age.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Young kittens always want to sleep on your throat, chew on you & your jewelry and be velcroed onto you when they are not zooming around hunting toys. With the dog the kitten may feel threatened or be trying to play.

All that said I think you should take him back since you are allergic. Not that you are at fault, it just may not be the right fit for your home. Honestly it is kinder to return him now while he is a cute kitten that will be adopted over an adult cat that will probably not be adopted.

If you decide to get a cat I would try to get one that is good for your allergies. I might also get a dog friendly adult cat.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that taking him back is probably the best option. But know that many cats are like this, especially kittens. I love cuddly needy cats but I don't even know if I have the energy to put up with a kitten all the time lol.

Also he probably isn't attacking your dog, he is roughhousing. Kittens can go absolutely insane with their play and hiss and puff up and jump around. It is all play. I mean I don't know for sure without seeing it of course.