Help With Kitten Mama Won’t Nurse

Aalvidrez63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a stray cat have a litter of 5 beautiful kittens on our porch under our bistro set. We made a makeshift bed for her and her kittens with towels in a corner away from the elements of sun and rain. She had her kittens 2 almost 3 weeks ago. I noticed one was always on the outer perimeter of their little nest. I would put it back and then I would find it outside again. The other four are nursing well and growing with their eyes open. I brought the other kitten inside and bought kmr milk replacement and started to attempt to bottle feed it. It seemed to have a clump of fur blocking a nostril that I was able to remove. It’s eyes are still closed. It’s small and it’s body temp was cold to the touch. I’m able to get it to take some of the milk but doesn’t want to nurse. I’m able to get it to drink it. It has started to poop and urninate. My concerns are it’s eyes. Am I doing the right feeding for it. It takes about 5 ml a feeding every 3-4 hours. I place a warm heat pack under its blanket and it’s getting stronger and now cries loud when feeding it. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. The first pic is the the one I’m nursing the other pic are it’s brothers and sisters.
Addy

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent and very good you took over the charge and responsibility. Kudos!
I do thank you.

Exactly what kmr do you use? Can you get hold of raw goats milk? A good kmr or pasteurized goats milk are OK, but raw goats milk is best, especielly in those touchy cases...

The amount to give: the rule of thumb is 8 ml / oz a day. Or 8+ ml / 30 grammes a day. If the kittens wants more than this, its ok to give more. Its difficult to overfeed a kitten, but very easy to underfeed a kitten... It helps much to know exactly the weigh. Both to know roughly how much they shall get a day, and to KNOW for sure if they gain daily, or not.... A healthy kitten gains 10+ grammes a day... Some gain 20+ grammes some days...

In an overall quick calculation, you are giving him roughly as if he were 120 grammes? If so, its either too little per day, OR he IS very little...

I suspect, you should give more per day, and more often. Give more simply by giving more often. The labels on kmr bottles are often suggesting a too seldom feeding. Feeding schedule which may be ok for an healthy orphan, but is too seldom for a weak sickly kitten.

The kitten becoming stronger after you took care, and pooping and peeing, are very good signs. Very promising.

OK, healthwise.
All these kittens have visible fever coat. Its usually because momma had some sort of fever when pregnant. It usually doesnt have negative consequences for the delivered kittens, and they grow out from the fever coat with time, getting their normal biologically destined coats.
Still, a memento to notice there were some problems...

The eyes are bothering me some. Usually they have opened their eyes at his age, but some ARE more late than others, cats are no automatos. Him being sickly and weakish makes things slower.
Still, the risk is he has some infection in the eyes.
Are there any visible traces of pus in the eyes? Or bulges around the eyes? Such bulges could contains pus pockets...
If so, he will need vet assistance with some suitable antibiotic - and possibly with emptying of the pus pockets / cleaning of the eyes.

Do not experimentate with complicated eye infections if you arent very experienced and know exactly what you do...

There are home remedies for weak inflammations, but you must be sure its just a somewhat inflammed eyes, nothing serious. As said, if any unsure, contact a vet. If sure its serious, DO contact a vet.
If necessary, come back so you will get more info.

Good luck and welcome back with reports and further questions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aalvidrez63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Excellent and very good you took over the charge and responsibility. Kudos!
I do thank you.

Exactly what kmr do you use? Can you get hold of raw goats milk? A good kmr or pasteurized goats milk are OK, but raw goats milk is best, especielly in those touchy cases...

The amount to give: the rule of thumb is 8 ml / oz a day. Or 8+ ml / 30 grammes a day. If the kittens wants more than this, its ok to give more. Its difficult to overfeed a kitten, but very easy to underfeed a kitten... It helps much to know exactly the weigh. Both to know roughly how much they shall get a day, and to KNOW for sure if they gain daily, or not.... A healthy kitten gains 10+ grammes a day... Some gain 20+ grammes some days...

In an overall quick calculation, you are giving him roughly as if he were 120 grammes? If so, its either too little per day, OR he IS very little...

I suspect, you should give more per day, and more often. Give more simply by giving more often. The labels on kmr bottles are often suggesting a too seldom feeding. Feeding schedule which may be ok for an healthy orphan, but is too seldom for a weak sickly kitten.

The kitten becoming stronger after you took care, and pooping and peeing, are very good signs. Very promising.

OK, healthwise.
All these kittens have visible fever coat. Its usually because momma had some sort of fever when pregnant. It usually doesnt have negative consequences for the delivered kittens, and they grow out from the fever coat with time, getting their normal biologically destined coats.
Still, a memento to notice there were some problems...

The eyes are bothering me some. Usually they have opened their eyes at his age, but some ARE more late than others, cats are no automatos. Him being sickly and weakish makes things slower.
Still, the risk is he has some infection in the eyes.
Are there any visible traces of pus in the eyes? Or bulges around the eyes? Such bulges could contains pus pockets...
If so, he will need vet assistance with some suitable antibiotic - and possibly with emptying of the pus pockets / cleaning of the eyes.

Do not experimentate with complicated eye infections if you arent very experienced and know exactly what you do...

There are home remedies for weak inflammations, but you must be sure its just a somewhat inflammed eyes, nothing serious. As said, if any unsure, contact a vet. If sure its serious, DO contact a vet.
If necessary, come back so you will get more info.

Good luck and welcome back with reports and further questions!
Thank

Aalvidrez63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. I’m giving it the KMR Premium Milk Replacer GNC Ultra. It doesn’t like eating and doesn’t have the natural sucking or latching as kittens with their moms. I am very concerned about the eyes. There is no puss or anything coming out of them but yesterday I did notice fluid coming out of them. I think he may need antibiotics or better care than I can give it. I’m going to contact the vet or our animal control center here says I can take it to be checked and they can take care and nurse it until it can be adopted out. I just don’t want it to die.
Your response was very informative and helpful.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In the meantime, put a warm, damp compress over the eyes to soften and draw out the pus and inflammation. You can also use warm, drained tea bags.

The kitten will likely need terramycin antibiotic eye ointment for its eyes to heal. Being so young, by getting the eyes open his sight can be saved. Most kittens eyes will become “glued” shut due to pus. The warm compresses and wiping the eyes gently helps them to open up.

Thank you so much for saving this kitten! You’ve done a marvelous job.

Please keep us updated.

A Aalvidrez63

Aalvidrez63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I just don’t want to do it more harm than good. I will try the warm compresses on its eyes.
I appreciate the advice.
Addy

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps this kmr is good. Still if you can get raw goats milk it may be useful.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your animal control say they can take care of a weak kitten fostering and all?
That is not common!