Help With Getting A Rescue Kitty To Vet For First Time

Tall Cheryl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning,

I adopted two rescue kitties last year, and they have very slowly started coming around me, remaining in the same room, but both still run away whenever I get close. One girl was more affectionate than the other, but I have noticed she is now isolating herself, staying under the bed, and when I do see her, she seems to be having trouble sitting down - very slow and hesitant. I want to take her to the vet, but I need some advice just how to corral this skittish little girl into her pet carrier. Any advice, much appreciated.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if they have a favorite food, or treat you can try putting it in your carrier, kind of like you would with a live trap, then shut the door quick? guess it depends on how close she will let you. Or you may have a friend or a rescue group in the area that will let you borrow a live trap?

Or, what i do with my skittish one is catch her in the bathroom. If i go in, but leave the door just a little cracked she gets nosy and comes right on in. then i shut the door before she gets out, this makes it easier. Its hard to catch a cat that doesn't want caught!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Deleted: sorry, misread post....problem was catching her, not the carrier...

Last edited:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Deleted: sorry, misread post. See my last response.

:)

Last edited:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is really hard once they get under the bed, very frustrating. I guess all you can do is try to lure her with treats. Whatever you do, don't push or force her out. She will come out. Then put in the bathroom or someplace she can't hide so you can get her in your carrier.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a skittish female, too. I make the appt. for the vet and then I get the carrier out and leave it out, so it's like a regular thing in our house to have it out for a few days. Normally I have to fast her for blood work anyway, so I make the appt. for first thing in the morning. By then she is hungry. I get the treats out when it's time to go and put one down, she walks up to it, and I snatch her up.
You do, what you gotta do.
Also, I prop up the carrier so it is almost standing on end, hold the front paws, and then lower her down head first, once I get the top half of her into the carrier, I release her gently, and then as she drops down she will be more concerned about catching herself, as I lower the carrier to normal floor level and close the door.