Help With Food And Water Spilling

AliciaV99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok so my cats are a year old now and this past week they have started spilling their water and dragging it all over the kitchen like they are playing with it. I have one of those ones where u put almost half a gallon of water in it so when they need more it just keeps filling up. They knock it over and push it around. My kitchen is drenched in water everyday. Soo annoying but I have no clue how to stop it. Any advice please?????

ssssupernova

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Buy the heaviest ceramic dog bowl you can find at the pet shop, or one of these with rubber bottoms:

Cats don't drink that much so I don't think they need self-refilling water bowls. I have a small ceramic water bowl for my cat and I never find it empty (I wash and refill it every 2 days).

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As ssssupernova said, cats don't drink much (especially if you feed wet food), even with 4 of them, so unless you will be leaving for a few days, a small dish with clean water every day or so would be fine.

Maybe they are just bored? Are they into anything else? Opening cabinets, playing with TP rolls, etc...?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AliciaV99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As ssssupernova said, cats don't drink much (especially if you feed wet food), even with 4 of them, so unless you will be leaving for a few days, a small dish with clean water every day or so would be fine.

Maybe they are just bored? Are they into anything else? Opening cabinets, playing with TP rolls, etc...?
I’ve noticed my linen cabinet open when we come home also. So yeah I’m pretty sure they do. I know they r bored we live in a small two bedroom house. Especially since I have my kids close the door to their room and I close my room. We only do this cause when they were younger I found poop in my kids and my closets I don’t feel like dealing with that again. But they have two litter boxes now and it hasn’t happened since so I don’t know if I should leave the doors open now. Thank you everyone though I’m gonna try to get a heavy bowl.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put a tray or shallow plastic container under the gravity water dispenser to contain messes. Add one of those super absorbent mats (pet stores sell some) or a puppy pad if needed.

Or instead of a gravity dispenser, use a water fountain or regular bowl instead also with a tray underneath. Water fountains need to be cleaned at least weekly or black gunk (mold) starts to form inside which gets into the water which the cat drinks:barfgreen:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our Sqeeker is water obsessed and the only thing that worked was getting a fountain. He's tip over small bowls and dips or leaves toys in a heavy one. A fountain sounds like a lot of work but it only takes about 10 min to take apart, clean and reassemble.

AliciaV99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thx for the advice. Mine is pretty tall and kinda heavy and they just knock it over and roll it around my kitchen. Today I left them with just the bottom plastic part so I don’t have that much to clean when I get home. But even at night I hear them dragging it around it’s just annoying I’m gonna get a bigger bowl when I go to the grocery store tomorrow or Sunday though.

AliciaV99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got these dog bowls today let’s see if they work. Going to bed soon. Also found one of my cats in the cabinet with my plates ugh totally considering baby proofing this place which sux I don’t even have babies my boys r old enough. But we will see.

Attachments

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine has driven me crazy with the deliberate spillage thing. I have small stainless bowls for her water, and give her fresh several times a day. I have tried a bigger bowl, which she didn't like, and a fountain, which she wouldn't touch.

I tried taping the bowls down, towels, everything. Finally got one of those rubber mats for their food that has a lip around it. She rarely gets water on the floor now. If I notice her smacking at her bowls a lot (goes through stages of it every few weeks) I will ask her if she wants to play with water. Then I put a good sized bowl with water in the tub and let her have fun. She's tired of it after about thirty minutes, and she'll be done with the water thing for a while.