Help with FIV + rescue with stomatitis

Nonexistent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a kitten left in the parking lot. I temporarily fostered him and worked with a rescue to get him neutered, vaccinated, and tested. He came back with a positive for FIV. I adopted him and I let the rescue know that I thought he might have gingivitis. the rescue gave me antibiotics for it and now I’m worried it could be stomatitis. After reading up on it and realizing he might have to get teeth pulled I’m really upset. I don’t want him to be in any pain but I also do not have the money to go through that type of procedure. I feel like the rescue should of had the vet they told me to take him to do a full diagnosis on him before letting me adopt him. I haven’t taken him to the vet yet to get a diagnosis but I’m positive this is what it is. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give my cats Oratene, drinking water additive, in their water, you might want to start it to help with bacteria in the mouth. Cats can get along very well with no teeth, even continuing to eat hard food. First I would take him to a vet when he is due for shots, etc. and get a positive diagnosis and see exactly what he needs, it may only be a few teeth pulled. And the cost. Work something out with the vet.
Being FIV positive brings its own risks with anesthesia, etc. so make sure any vet knows about this if you check around. Secondly, get him as healthy as possible. Get him started on DMG, added to his food or a lickable treat every day. it has worked very well with my cats with leukemia. One just 'days' from death and who pulled through and is still with us 3 years later. It helps the immune system fight off viruses and illnesses.
You have to know first exactly what you are dealing with. Then you can see what you you need to do. 99% of what we worry about usually does not come true! All the luck.....