Help With A Feral Cat

babygirl694925

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A year ago my family and I started feeding a feral cat, she was very scared of us and wouldn't take a step towards us for over a year. We set up a dish and water cup outside in our covered front porch for her (I believe its a girl based on her tortoiseshell coloring).

About a month ago she started walking towards me when i went outside to feed her, she would slowly walk to me as i was opening the wet food can while hissing and growling. Since I saw slight progress in her while she ate from the can i stayed by her (the can would move towards me within a good 2 inches from my feet, she would follow the can, occasionally growling at me to put me in my place), I never tried to touch her and when the can got to close to me I would step back when I saw her get upset. She sits and naps on our porch as well.

Recently shes been getting very aggressive when I or my father go out there to feed her. She walks towards us while growing/nasty meowing, and hissing occasionally. I cant even get the food into her dish because she seems very defensive acting as if we will take the food away. I actually just fed her and had to drop the can and run back into the door cause she honestly looks like she was wanting to attack me if I did not drop that can on the ground.

Any advise for me to at least stop her from being so defensive? I know its extremely hard to get a feral cat to accept humans and probably impossible. I'm not looking to make her a house cat, I just want to be able to feed her without fearing for my life lol.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Was she pregnant and now has kittens she's feeling super protective about? You may have to simply hang in there with her and see if, as time progresses, whether that is the case and she eventually brings the kittens with her.

You may want to consider adjusting your feeding method while she's being particularly cranky so that you already have the food in her dish (are you cleaning that dish daily, or using a fresh one each time?) and can put the dish on the ground and leave. Try approaching the feeding area at a crouch (that you can still get out of quickly if need be), humans are tall and being closer to her level might help...

Could she be injured? Maybe if you could borrow a video camera that you can place on the ground so you could see her body more easily...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babygirl694925

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Was she pregnant and now has kittens she's feeling super protective about? You may have to simply hang in there with her and see if, as time progresses, whether that is the case and she eventually brings the kittens with her.

You may want to consider adjusting your feeding method while she's being particularly cranky so that you already have the food in her dish (are you cleaning that dish daily, or using a fresh one each time?) and can put the dish on the ground and leave.

Could she be injured? Maybe if you could borrow a video camera that you can place on the ground so you could see her body more easily...
She seems pretty healthy, I've gotten pretty close to her, her fur looks healthy, and I dont see any injuries, shes a very fluffy kitty though so that could be hard to notice even with a camera.

I was thinking maybe shes currently pregnant? Could that be why maybe shes getting more defensive suddenly? I haven't really seen any other signs that she is, or was pregnant, I know she goes across the street and then disappears between houses, not sure where shes set up her nesting spot if she has one

We clean the dish out, if not every day then every other day, and give fresh water in the plastic cup that she drinks out of, some days she drinks almost the whole cup.