Help with 10 year old stray cat.

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello.
I have been taking care of this cat for over a year.
I call him BB.
I often see him going to a neighbor so I checked and she's been feeding him for 10 years.
He spends all his time in my yard, he comes into my house, he already knows my other cats, he's the most affectionate animal I have ever been around, he has gone from not letting me pet him, to allowing me to pick him up.
He loves to be brushed and wants to play 24/7.
Hes like a kitten
Hes seems healthy and EXTREMELY happy.
I give him a lot of attention.
I would like to give him the opportunity to live inside with us and made a vet appointment for Tuesday.
I have a medium dog crate and was thinking of taking him in the crate. I will have to put him in there, he ain't gonna be happy with me, as sweet as he is, he's a fighter.
I absolutely love this little guy and any help will be so appreciated.
Have a great Saturday.
IMG_20230513_134707.jpg
IMG_20230513_134651.jpg

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l love this story, because you are caring for an older cat that still has life and love to give. Being 10 years old outside on his own, by definition, means he is a fighter and survivor.

Are you basically asking about how to get him in the crate for the vet appointment?

Have you yet tried to introduce him to the crate? Like just by putting treats/food inside of it and seeing if he will go inside willingly?

As early as possible, try to introduce him to it slowly. I know you said the appointment is soon, but you still have time to try to acclimate him a little bit. He might trust it because he obviously trusts you.

BTW, I also have a 10-year-old cat who is the most affectionate animal I've ever known. But I rescued him when he was between 1-2 years old. Still, this is my first cat, and I never knew how affectionate they could be.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for helping this cat, although I am not sure that you will need a lot of help as he sounds like such a sweetheart.

Since he is so friendly, I would not try a trap, but would give the carrier a try in order to transport him to the vet. Do you expect that he will put up a fight? My experience with ferals/strays ranges from simply putting them into a carrier, carrying them home in my arms, or using a trap. If you are at all concerned that he may balk at the carrier, put on gloves and a jacket. If you think that this might be necessary and he has not seen you in those kinds of clothes, it might be a good idea to suit up when you go out and hold him so that he is not on high alert.

He may love living inside, but he may also ask to be let out initially so there will be an adjustment period. Even though he knows your other cats, he may need a place of his own like a bathroom as he and they get to know each other as indoor pets.

He looks like my Graycie whom I rescued at 5 1/2 years old from an alley where I had been feeding her. It came down to the wire; someone had tried to kill her, and I literally ran down the street with her in my arms back to my house. She was never a minute's trouble at all, although I did keep her in the "rescue" bathroom for a few days while everyone settled in.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My experience with ferals/strays ranges from simply putting them into a carrier, carrying them home in my arms
Yeah that's another option. I don't know what WWG1WGA WWG1WGA 's personal situation is, but if you have another human, transporting to the vet while another human drives is a very easy option for cats who have this kind of temperament

When I was initially bringing my cat to the vet, I had a hard time putting him in a carrier. So a couple of times, I just held him in the passenger seat of a car while a family member drove. But obviously that only applies if you have other people to help you.

I eventually got him to go inside a carrier easily and started bringing him in by myself. My personal approach was just gentle guidance, because like the cat you describe, he was always a sweetheart and very friendly.

But I know this always depends entirely on the individual cat's personality. If you are afraid of an extreme reaction, try to acclimate to the crate as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
l love this story, because you are caring for an older cat that still has life and love to give. Being 10 years old outside on his own, by definition, means he is a fighter and survivor.

Are you basically asking about how to get him in the crate for the vet appointment?

Have you yet tried to introduce him to the crate? Like just by putting treats/food inside of it and seeing if he will go inside willingly?

As early as possible, try to introduce him to it slowly. I know you said the appointment is soon, but you still have time to try to acclimate him a little bit. He might trust it because he obviously trusts you.

BTW, I also have a 10-year-old cat who is the most affectionate animal I've ever known. But I rescued him when he was between 1-2 years old. Still, this is my first cat, and I never knew how affectionate they could be.
ThankIyou!
Yes, was asking for help getting him in I can literally pick him up and just put him in there, but if looking for a less stressful way to get him in there.
I have trapped ferals before, but didn't want to put him thru that, since he let's me handle him more than my indoor cats do.

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping this cat, although I am not sure that you will need a lot of help as he sounds like such a sweetheart.

Since he is so friendly, I would not try a trap, but would give the carrier a try in order to transport him to the vet. Do you expect that he will put up a fight? My experience with ferals/strays ranges from simply putting them into a carrier, carrying them home in my arms, or using a trap. If you are at all concerned that he may balk at the carrier, put on gloves and a jacket. If you think that this might be necessary and he has not seen you in those kinds of clothes, it might be a good idea to suit up when you go out and hold him so that he is not on high alert.

He may love living inside, but he may also ask to be let out initially so there will be an adjustment period. Even though he knows your other cats, he may need a place of his own like a bathroom as he and they get to know each other as indoor pets.

He looks like my Graycie whom I rescued at 5 1/2 years old from an alley where I had been feeding her. It came down to the wire; someone had tried to kill her, and I literally ran down the street with her in my arms back to my house. She was never a minute's trouble at all, although I did keep her in the "rescue" bathroom for a few days while everyone settled in.
Thank you for saving Gracie, thank God you got to her in time.
This cat is sweet to, I think I may be making a bigger deal about getting him in the crate, than I should. I'm just very nervous about it.
He follows me everywhere and it's very easy to pick him up, I've been getting him used to that, and he doesn't mind at all, at this point.
He will smack me on occasion tho lol.
I am more concerned I think about him hurting himself when I put him in the crate.
I have a whole bedroom I plan to give him while he acclimates and learns to use litter box.
Thank you for your reply.
❤🙏
Thank you for taking the time to respond

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me just add this, too. Instead of a carrier, a cardboard box can work. At least for an initial visit, if you have trouble making a carrier work.

Like I said, I held Willy on my lap when bringing him to the vet a few times, but I also dropped him in a large cardboard box for one vet trip.

It was easier because he already liked climbing in boxes, and I used one that was big enough for him to have ample space inside. I just placed him in, and then closed the flaps and put a piece of duct tape over the top to keep it closed. (I punched air holes ahead of time BTW).

I did this the first time I had to bring him in by myself, when no other human was available to drive. From then on, I was able to successfully get him comfortable with the carrier.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you use the crate, cover it with a blanket or sheet. That will help him feel a little more secure. Seems like cats think that if they can't see anything, then no one can see them either. If you have some Feliway, spray it on the blanket... or spray the inside of the carrier. That may help calm him on the trip to the vet. Sometimes I even spray the inside of my car. Don't do it immediately before putting him in the carrier or car, though. You need to allow several minutes after spraying it for the wetness to evaporate.

He looks like a sweet old boy. I hope it works out for both of you!

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If you use the crate, cover it with a blanket or sheet. That will help him feel a little more secure. Seems like cats think that if they can't see anything, then no one can see them either. If you have some Feliway, spray it on the blanket... or spray the inside of the carrier. That may help calm him on the trip to the vet. Sometimes I even spray the inside of my car. Don't do it immediately before putting him in the carrier or car, though. You need to allow several minutes after spraying it for the wetness to evaporate.

He looks like a sweet old boy. I hope it works out for both of you!
Thank you for reminding me about the feliway and your well wishes!
🙏

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let me just add this, too. Instead of a carrier, a cardboard box can work. At least for an initial visit, if you have trouble making a carrier work.

Like I said, I held Willy on my lap when bringing him to the vet a few times, but I also dropped him in a large cardboard box for one vet trip.

It was easier because he already liked climbing in boxes, and I used one that was big enough for him to have ample space inside. I just placed him in, and then closed the flaps and put a piece of duct tape over the top to keep it closed. (I punched air holes ahead of time BTW).

I did this the first time I had to bring him in by myself, when no other human was available to drive. From then on, I was able to successfully get him comfortable with the carrier.
Thank you again, I'm trying to get another Human to help I will check back and let yall know how we progress.
Thank you all for your help!

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Putting food in the back of the carrier and then just closing it once he is in sometimes makes it less stressful. As was mentioned, cover it immediately with a towel or blanket. Good luck!

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello.
I have been taking care of this cat for over a year.
I call him BB.
I often see him going to a neighbor so I checked and she's been feeding him for 10 years.
He spends all his time in my yard, he comes into my house, he already knows my other cats, he's the most affectionate animal I have ever been around, he has gone from not letting me pet him, to allowing me to pick him up.
He loves to be brushed and wants to play 24/7.
Hes like a kitten
Hes seems healthy and EXTREMELY happy.
I give him a lot of attention.
I would like to give him the opportunity to live inside with us and made a vet appointment for Tuesday.
I have a medium dog crate and was thinking of taking him in the crate. I will have to put him in there, he ain't gonna be happy with me, as sweet as he is, he's a fighter.
I absolutely love this little guy and any help will be so appreciated.
Have a great Saturday. View attachment 449633View attachment 449634
Hi I wanted to leave an update and I have a question.
I rescheduled the cats appointment to the end of the week to try to acclimate him to the crate I want to use for his vet trip.
My problem is he has been bringing me rabbits and chipmunks the last 4 days.
Sometimes they alive, sometimes dead.
He's not eating as much as normal and he hasn't been keeping up his normal routine of coming here each morning for the last couple of days Making all of this more challenging.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you keep him inside at all as you get closer to the appointment? He will protest, but if he goes AWOL that day or right before, the whole plan is thrown off. My guess is that he is eating less because he is hunting, although there could be other reasons of which you aren't aware. Getting him back to his routine is the best thing you can do, even if you start to entice him into the carrier with appealing food just so that he gets used to entering it.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you keep him inside at all as you get closer to the appointment? He will protest, but if he goes AWOL that day or right before, the whole plan is thrown off.
I agree with this. If there is a room you can confine him in right before the appointment, it's worth considering doing so so that you can be sure to make the appointment.

When I brought my cat inside, I was fortunate enough to have a room in the basement to keep him in while getting ready for the initial vet trip. He was very easygoing with the whole thing (until trying to get him in the carrier, as I described above... but was fine with being inside). He was much younger than your guy, though.

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!
I may have to do that!