Help! What Is This Bump On Cats Head??

Lololove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This bump showed up on tigers head a few weeks ago. It hasn't changed in size or color since and it doesn't seem to bother him at all. The bump is easily moveable with his skin & not hot to the touch. I think it's just a fatty deposit but I'd like to get some other opinions before heading to the vet and running a bunch of tests.
Tiger is indoor/outdoor and 10yrs old we live in WA state.
IMG_0302.JPG

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No idea but the vet should take a look at it and run tests if needed. It may be an infected wound / bug bite, a tumor, or something else. At the very least, email the picture to the vet and ask for an opinion. Most likely the vet will want to see the cat.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take him to the vet. It could be a tumor and if so, you would want to get it while it's small.

BijouBlackCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Bijou had a similar looking lump on the crux between her ear and head that turned out to be a mast cell tumor -- the vet diagnosed it with a little biopsy and it was removed with surgery. Does it seem like Tiger itches at that spot a lot? The mast cell produce histamines that can make kitties very itchy.

I echo everyone's statements about getting Tiger to the vet to get checked out. :) Good luck!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I echo BijouBlackCat BijouBlackCat that it could be a Mast Cell tumor. These type are often found about the head and neck areas. I had a previous cat who developed several of these type tumors on the face. Each time they were removed and biopsied.

After several of them being removed and biopsied, I took her to a specialty Vet teaching hospital. The Vet said that as long as they stay external, it will be ok...just have them removed and biopsied. The real problem occurs if they go internal. Fortunately this did not occur.

Bottom line...take your cat to the Vet to have this checked out soon.

raeaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am curious what the original poster found out about their cat. I have a kitten who is only 3 months old, who has a similar bump on the center of the top of his head.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The OP has not been back in over 5 years, so you will probably not get a reply. The general advice in the thread is sound; taking the kitten to the vet is the best option, especially given his young age. Your vet may accept a pic if you ask. There are lots of skin conditions and bumps that can arise in cats; certainly some are easily managed by the vet, but you have to know what you are dealing with.