Help :) We need Rustic/Distressed ideas for cat scratcher doorways

Ellen Marie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
❤LOVE❤my Chubby Baby Kitty! but... he was rescued from a fire as a baby kitten and still struggles with anxiety.

Yes - there are multiple scratching posts throughout the house and we’ve tried a variety of calming techniques;)

He’s much much better - but it only takes one moment of weakness to ruin newly painted doorways...

SO - I’m looking for ideas! Rather than repaint the doorways a “perfect” paint job I’m hoping someone else on here has found a rustic/distressed look for doorways 🙂

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went on Pinterest to look for some things that I thought would be relevant to this post but then got sucked into adding a bunch of stuff to my boards. I then forgot why I was on there in the first place. But here are some of the things I was thinking of.

1580946778765.png

1580946928106.png

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi E Ellen Marie

So, I guess your question is more about the woodwork than your cat? I'm a fan of the rustic look too, but if your cat starts clawing the door frames you can get splinters or snag your clothing. I've put thick cloth tape up the door frame my cats keep going for. You can get it in different colours, so it doesn't look too obvious. It won't damage the paint work and it's easy enough to replace if they ever do try to claw it.

It's described as cloth adhesive tape.

1580950461208.png

Another thing that might work is attaching some rubber mats to the wall near the door.

1580950538459.png

My cats love these! You can cut them to size and they're light enough to attach to the wall with the cloth tape. Cheap enough to throw away and replace once they're thoroughly clawed up too.

Good luck, let us know what solution works for you.