Help w my cat.....

Brandin nichole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat has lost a tremendous amount of weight over the past 2 months and I have dewormed her three times first I made sure she had her flee meds after the first round of dewormer I realized that the flea meds I bought were not working because I found a flea or two on her so I knew that she was going to need to be dewormed again so I just went ahead and did it to be certain she is not looking great at all and I realized she is really really itchy and grooming and licking so much I have researched and checked her I haven't found a thing on her but a few little rashes here and there I recently read about dust mites and went through and cleaned house and realized I had a super disgusting old dog bed that I had put outside to throw away but the cats started enjoying laying on it so I just left it for them not fully understanding the danger I was putting them in. I didn't have the money to take my cat to the vet until today so I quickly drove her to the one at Tractor Supply thinking we could be seen but they couldn't take any more walk-ins so we have to wait until Tuesday to go back can anybody tell me anything about dust mites and is there anything I can be giving her until we get to the vet I've tried to give her baths but that didn't go so well I was able to spray have vinegar half water on her and lock her in the bathroom with the heater and wipe her down with a rag but as far as getting her down into water it's not going to happen I have tried she looks so skinny and frail I made homemade chicken broth and I've been giving her a little bit of that daily w lyzien I'm sure I'm not spelling that right but it's amune booster, as well as started her on fish oil for cats a week ago as well and trying to feed her extra canned food she's eating just fine she just looks unhealthy her coat weight, also when I touch her I get this terrible itchy rash that resembles poison ivy and feels almost just like it, she is allowed outside in the am she is a tripod because of a coyote accident 2 years ago so she is only now allowe out w me for an hour or as long as im outside.. can anybody tell me anything about what they might think it could be do you guys think this could be dust mites and I've gotten rid of all the old bedding and anything and I've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned I'm sorry for the long message I'm just stumped and I wanted to put this out there in case anybody had any suggestions for me.... thanks in advance... xoxo *B*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brandin nichole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry I should have mentioned that my cat is a 3 year old almost 4 year old female short hair Grey I rescued from the woods when she was just a few months old

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry you and your cat are having problems.
As for the worms. I assume you are talking about tape worms that cats get from fleas. Those are the only worms you would see without a microscope. It is highly unlikely that tapeworms would cause weight loss. While they are gross, they don’t cause problems usually.
As for fleas, no more spraying the cat with vinegar. All it will do is stress your cat, burn the skin, and cause respiratory irritation. None of the home remedies work for fleas. Please don’t even try any of them.
For fleas, best is if you use Revolution regular, not the Plus version, and use it on all the cats. But, only after your cat has seen the vet. Otherwise if the skin is irritated or broken it will make things worse.
Vacuuming can help, as can washing all bedding. Use unscented laundry detergent. Fleas cannot live in direct sunlight, so you don’t have to worry about those areas.

Don’t try to bath her. Cats really aren’t designed to get baths and the stress will cause more harm than good. Also fleas will jump right back on after a bath.

I don’t think this is related to dust mites or fleas. While they don’t help and can make the skin worse, it usually is not going to cause weight loss in an adult cat.

Can you post a picture of her?

I wouldn’t be giving her anything but cat food. Feed her a quality canned cat food only. Provided she will eat it. Of course if she isn’t eating, that is different and you will have to address that. But I think you did state she is eating.

For now, I wouldn’t be letting her outside. She will just pick up more fleas and be possibly exposed to things that she might not have the ability to fight off.

How are your other cats doing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brandin nichole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm sorry for the confusion I I did use real topical flea medicine the second time after I realized the first one I was using wasn't working or it was but it was wearing off a couple of weeks before it was time to put it on again monthly so the vinegar/water spraying was to try and calm her skin and soothe it I won't do it again I did not know it burnt her or it would burn her I feel like an idiot I did spray it on my arm that has the rash from her to make sure it didn't burn me first and it didn't and so many sites recommended that I do that have vinegar half water spray but I think you're right I don't need to upset her anymore I was really worried because I wasn't sure how I was going to get her to the vet at that time but today I now know that I can take her Tuesday when they open back up so thank you for the advice I do have two other outdoor male cats that basically live on my back porch they came with my apartment I got them fixed they can come in and out and the other mail is itchy the same but he has no other symptoms other than itchy and licking and Grooming already had allergies before that so you know I didn't really notice a difference in anyone but my female that is inside more than they are they all come in and out as they please except for her I keep her in you know in the evening but yes I can take a picture of her thank you so much and thank you for responding