Help stop vomiting

Jdforce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all! I’m hoping someone can help me. I have a cat/kitten? Who will be 1 in May. I brought her home in the beginning of August from the shelter. She was super tiny and had obviously been starving. She still has the eating habits of a cat who has been starved and vomits frequently. I’ve tried all types of wet food/dry food. Switched to Purina pro plan as vet recommend. Blue buffalo sensitive stomach, Iams sensitive. Got an elevated bowl with grooves to force her to eat more slowly. Nothing helps. I had her tested for parasites, that was negative. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Iwould try feeding her smaller meals more often. Is she vomiting almost immediately after eating? If so, then it is probably because she is either eating too fast or eating too much, which you are trying to address by raising her dish and using a slow feed bowl. By feeding her smaller meals more often that might help. If the vomiting isn't occuring soon after eating, it might be some sort of food sensitivity, and you might need to try food trials. Have anti-emetics helps if that's the case?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iwould try feeding her smaller meals more often. Is she vomiting almost immediately after eating? If so, then it is probably because she is either eating too fast or eating too much, which you are trying to address by raising her dish and using a slow feed bowl. By feeding her smaller meals more often that might help. If the vomiting isn't occuring soon after eating, it might be some sort of food sensitivity, and you might need to try food trials. Have anti-emetics helps if that's the case?
We have a cat with the same set of problems, Jdforce Jdforce , and it can be very hard to deal with. Edwina came to us underfed when she was about 10 months old and scrawny. She, too, vomited and regurgitated a fair bit. She's now 10 but she's still insecure about her food.

I agree with everything mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens says. Feeding frequent small meals is probably what helps Edwina the most. Here's what we're especially looking to prevent:
-vomiting stomach acid (this will look clear, yellowish, and maybe frothy) because she's hungry, something that's most likely to happen during the night or in the early morning and
-regurgitating her meal (where everything comes up on the floor and looks like a sausage) just after feeding.
The stomach acid problem occurs because her stomach's empty but hers seems to get worse if she's keyed up. Being nervous about her food is a factor in creating acid. It helps a lot to keep her busy and entertained.

We find that feeding a snack/meal during the night is particularly helpful in avoiding a stomach acid vomit. Her regurgitation problem is worst at breakfast so she gets that in a few small portions. Feeding some freeze-dried chicken can help absorb some of the acid and keep her distracted. We put her dish on a little platform a few inches off the floor, which seems to help a lot, too.

As mrsgreenjeens says, if your cat's vomiting a few hours after her meals, the problem is more likely a food sensitivity. We've sorted those out, too!

You mentioned having had a test for parasites. Apparently there's a nematode that cellar crickets carry that can cause cats to vomit... but it doesn't often come up in parasite tests. The nematode is a suspect in a problem that Edwina had last year; she had to have some chunks of her stomach taken out. Even the biopsies couldn't say what happened but the vets' consensus was to give her a course of Panacur dewormer. Panacur apparently kills lots of parasites, including the nematode. Edwina does love to eat cellar crickets in our basement so we're going to deworm her regularly from now on.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Peaches is 7 pds 10 yrs old and is an expert at throwing up after eating. Dry food she would eat too fast. She is a licker so no pate either. No shredded meat. She can eat meat with pieces like orijen and farmina canned. Also fancy feast classics turkey&giblets because it's not a smooth pate . I give her a small amount of canned every few hours. I also use timers for wet food during the day and night. I like orijen because it's 90 cal in 3 oz can. So 4oz a day is all she needs.

Last edited: