Help. Six Month Old Kittens Won’t Stop Nursing.

Debbiedark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
DBE7C757-ABDB-4338-88E4-E71BFE2D33D5.jpeg
A feral cat had a litter of kittens under my house and I managed to lure them all inside. It has been almost 6 months and we’re a big happy indoor cat family now. I had her spayed a couple of weeks ago and kept them separated while she recovered. However, now that she is healed they won’t leave her alone. It’s driving us both crazy! It happens anytime she comes to me for attention, as soon as she starts purring they come running. It happens a lot in the night and I’m losing sleep trying to swat them off of her. They are very aggressive. I’ve been over feeding them in an effort to make them stop but it seems to be psychological for them. They have a strict no door/separation policy so that won’t work. At this point they are bigger than her, what can I do to make them stop?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
So, you are keeping all the kittens? If so be aware that within just a couple of months they will all sexually mature and if female go into heat. And if any are male, they may mate with their sisters.

As far as the nursing, she will stop them when she has had enough of it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so question 1, are they all spayed and neutered? If not males and females need to be separated now. Beyond that, I mean, are you planning to keep them all? It isn't really natural for a momma cat and all her litter to live together permanently. She needs her own space. I would definitely give her some time alone to herself. Or see if she will wear a thundershirt or a childs onesie with a hole for the tail cut in it to keep them away. That is all the advice I have, I haven't really had to deal with that before. I assume eventually she will smack them around when she gets too annoyed, but until then, her spay incision needs to heal.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you socializing them to be with people? They sound like they are not. They are relying on mom for that. There are moms who keep close relationships with their kittens, but the kittens at their age need to be spayed/neutered and find a way to relate to human beings for their care.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I hope at least the females are spayed by now! Or there's going to be some Game of Thrones situations going on real soon :tongue:.

Anyway, usually the mama will take care of the problem herself and humans shouldn't interfere. But, on the other hand, I've never had a mama cat who had to deal with 6 of them. They could gang up on her. So I think putting something like a thundershirt or baby onesie on her might be the best idea. That way they could still cuddle with her but not actually nurse.

• Purraise
Reactions: jen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Debbiedark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, you are keeping all the kittens? If so be aware that within just a couple of months they will all sexually mature and if female go into heat. And if any are male, they may mate with their sisters.

As far as the nursing, she will stop them when she has had enough of it.
The female kitten has been spayed. The males are scheduled for next week. So it’s not harmful to her? I am worried about them stealing her nutrients. She’s getting quite thin.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The female kitten has been spayed. The males are scheduled for next week. So it’s not harmful to her? I am worried about them stealing her nutrients. She’s getting quite thin.
She is still producing milk????? I am confused as to how that is possible. I thought she had been spayed? Get her away from them, and have her checked out by a vet, and I mean thoroughly.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt she is producing milk anymore. It is usually just more of a comfort thing with older kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Debbiedark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t know if she is producing milk, that’s why I was asking cat people. I will call my vet.

Last edited by a moderator:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as her spay incision is healed it really isn't doing any harm. What is she eating? There could be other reasons why she is getting thin. If she wasn't on kitten food during her pregnancy and while nursing she may not have gotten enough nutrients from that and now is thin. Offer her more canned food and some dry. Keep her on the kitten food still until she gets to a healthy weight.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They usually dry up after a couple months. BUT, if 6 half-grown kittens have been nursing on her continuously, that's probably enough stimulation to keep the milk flowing. Being spayed has nothing to do with it---even some males have started lactating with enough stimulation.

Anyway, yeah, try the thundershirt if you can. If you want to try a baby onesie, double it up or sew some extra fabric in the tummy area, because onesies are thin and they might be able to suck on her through the fabric.

As I said, normally it's not a problem. But since there are 6 of them all still nursing I'm inclined to say you might have to step in.