Help! Should my cats spay stitches look like this?

Islamaui

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten Isla just got spayed a few hours ago and she wouldn’t stop jumping and licking her stitches before we could catch her and put her in a carrier where she couldn’t hurt herself. Should we take her to the emergency vet? Do they look bad? I’ve heard the horror stories of spays gone wrong so I’m really scared :(
0C5BEA1B-81CB-435C-8DB3-9415AE8BBA84.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s kind of hard to tell from the photo but it looks like the incision is still closed. Is it draining any? Most vets have someone on call these days. You could try calling and/or sending in the photo. I always say, if you are worried, make contact with a vet. If nothing else, you can rest easy. Watch for any staining, redness, opening of the wound, odors or seeming discomfort by Isla. I have had hundreds of spays and few problems but it can happen. When it did with my cats they tended to tuck their tail under their belly but that isn’t a sure sign. Keep watching her and please do keep us updated. Again, when worried, ask a vet. A simple phone call may mean you don’t have to keep worrying. :alright:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what I can tell, it looks ok. There's a bit of wet around it, but some seeping of a clear-to-straw colored fluid (called "serum") is perfectly normal. I don't seen any sign of bleeding, other than the trace amounts of dried blood that all surgical sites have. Other than that, I can't add anything to Jcatbird Jcatbird 's advice! I really do think your girl is just fine. Call the vet, to be safe, but I think she is.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
They look fine. If she persists, you can always put a baby' t-shirt or a onesie on her.