Help Save Winslow!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Meet Winslow! Winslow was found laying on the road in Morgantown WV when someone found him and brought him to us. As soon as we saw him we were overwhelmed with the smell of infection and we discovered that he had a couple of open wounds filled with maggots. We took him to the vet and they discovered that on top of his open wounds, scrapes, and nasty upper respiratory infection, he also tested positive for FIV. Then an x-ray showed that he has a BAD break in one of his legs. The vet said the leg is going to need to be amputated. The amputation surgery is going to be about $1000 on top of the $400 bill that we already acquired for this sweet boy.
We think that Winslow was thrown from a car and left on his own for a few weeks. He needs to get over his infection and gain more weight before he can undergo the amputation surgery so we wont be scheduling it for a few more weeks. Please share his story and help us get him the surgery that he needs! He needs to know that all humans aren't as bad as the ones who are the reason he is in this condition!

This is the estimate for the charges of his amputation.

This is the bill from his Urgent Care visit on Saturday!

We are not giving up on this sweet boy! Please share his story and consider a donation! Every little bit we can raise adds up!

Click here to support Help Save Winslow! organized by Alyssa Shade

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
it is possible that he fell from a moving vehicle. He might have been hiding when it took off. I know it’s easy to assume the worst but sometimes accidents do happen. There are some good people out there as you yourself have proven.
Hope things go well.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Note that this reminder is posted in all threads asking for donations and is not directed at any specific person.

From the Mods:
To all members, a reminder that it is YOUR responsibility to check out these solicitors to the best of your ability. Ask for references, phone numbers, call around the area and find out if this is a legitimate cause or a scam. Thecatsite.com does not stand behind any solicitation of funds for any reason that appear in the forums unless explicitly authorized. Be very careful before you send any money: no matter how effective the plea is, check it out first before opening your wallet. For more information, see Pleas for Money.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Because I do a lot of repair work, including wood things, when I see an xray like that my first though is to just glue it. To amputate and entire leg because of a break to me is a little extreme. At one time they used to do that for people. Broken arms and legs were just just sawed off. If you go back and look at civil war pictures a lot of the people were missing arms and legs. That is because amputation was the only way they knew of to prevent fatal infections from wounds. So getting wounded usually meant getting the limb sawed off with a bone saw and then cauterized with a flame.
Well I just did a search and they have now developed a glue for glueing bones together. It was developed using rat fractures. It is now moving into people applications. I wonder if it could be used in Vet work? A progressive vet might be able to get it as a trial application. It only takes 5 minutes to set a bone. It works on rats, why not cats?

Here are some links to it. You can Google it for more info.

Experimental glue could soon fix broken bones

Now, glue could fix broken bones in just 5 minutes

Bone-setting Glue

Might be worth telling the vet about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
This break is not new and there is no signs of trying to repair itself, also if you see the bone that goes into the hip socket is completely turned upside down. That is why amputation is necessary, the break is too old.
We had another cat several months back who had an old break that healed itself and made it so he was unable to bend his leg, but it didn't cause him pain so we left it alone. This guy has the broken edge rubbing against all of his muscles and soft tissues and he just drags it behind himself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
it is possible that he fell from a moving vehicle. He might have been hiding when it took off. I know it’s easy to assume the worst but sometimes accidents do happen. There are some good people out there as you yourself have proven.
Hope things go well.
Even if he had "Just fell" he had been laying in the road/limping around by a gas station for a couple of weeks and nobody helped the poor thing. It is even possible he may have been hit by a car. All we know is he sustained some sort of trauma a couple of weeks ago causing him to break his leg and be covered in abscesses, one of which ruptured and attracted flies which is why he was full of maggots. It is incredibly sad how many of people just watched him suffer.