Help Please!

Ann M.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all, please thank your husband on behalf of cat lovers everywhere.
By the time you go into the hospital next week, it looks like baby Sparty will be at the age where he can start weaning off the bottle and eating on his own. This should be a relief for you and your husband, as it is much easier to put down a bowl of food than to sit and bottle feed. I have always started my kittens with a thin baby cereal gruel for their fist attempt at eating ,made with warm kitten formula or goat milk - what ever you are using to bottle feed, but not cow's milk.) mixed w/small amount of Gerbers or Earth's Best instant baby cereal (usually rice). Put it in a saucer so that he can learn to lap it up. Make the gruel very thin at first, then a little thicker if you want as time goes on. The rice cereal is optional and not everyone will agree with giving it, but this is what I have always done, and my mother before me has always done. I like it because the kittens love it. It is very filling and very satisfying to their tummies. No kittens have ever been harmed by it, and I only give this cereal mix for a short time. After a few days, start to give him a pate style cat food gruel. Mix the pate cat food with goat milk (or water) to make a thin gruel. Make it thin at first, then gradually thicker as he gets used to eating. Optional, but I still continue to give the cereal gruel for a few more weeks, at bedtime, or every other day, as a treat for them, usually at bedtime. Or, I continue to give a bottle at bedtime(because I treat my kittens like human babies). Gradually, you can wean him off of the milk completely. (maybe at 7 weeks or so?) Its been awhile since I've had a littler. I usually play it by ear and let the kitten dictate to me what to do. I'm sure others have suggestions too, for first foods. Best wishes for new baby. (both new babies).

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used the instant rice gruel and it works well, too, just like well-boiled white rice water. It helps thicken up runny stools; diarrhea causes dehydration which can quickly take a kitten downhill.
.....and ...Welcome to TCS, Anne M!! I love your advice:thumbsup:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have recently "discovered" this enchanting thread and have enjoyed reading through it from post 1. Sparty is an adorable kitten and a very lucky one to have found such wonderful "parents". I am very much looking forward to the new episodes of this lovely story.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please! No cereal! Cats are obligate carnivores. Cereal will only provide carbohydrates. When the kitten is ready for solid food, you can initially mix some KMR (the powdered form that you have added liquidate) with either kitten kibble (the liquid KMR you add will soften it sp it is easier for the kitten to eat) or with tinned kitten food.