HELP PLEASE!!! Semi-feral mother cat and kittens in my home

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that mom cats are smart and protective. Even resident cats often hide or even move babies. It is instinct. Good mama cats wait to see if a baby is safe before trusting. Once babies are becoming independent and approach you on their own, mom cat will be likely to observe how babies love you and also trust and love. So often I have been able to socialize strays and ferals through their kittens. It may not even take that with this beauty. I rub catnip on my shoes and pants legs and cats tend to come and rub on me which gives me an opening after awhile to rub back. I hold still the first few times but then begin talking and if they rub while I am sitting on the floor, I have had them explore my lap! Lol One other trust trick is to sit with your back to the cat. That is cat body language for ,” I am ignoring you and don’t see you.” This gives the cat a chance to come behind you snd sniff around. Scent is important to cats. Curiosity can lead them to checking you out more too. Sit there and read a book or just stay occupied and kitty may come to you. Cats always prefer to come to you over being pursued. Pursuit is what a predator would do. The purring videos on YouTube have been a great help here with nervous kitties. The heartbeat ones mentioned above have too. Leave a shirt or something that holds your scent ( no perfumes or strong scents, just you) and kitty can investigate. You may find her laying on it later. Lol You, mom and babies are doing great! Awesome! I think you are going to find that this is one of the most gratifying and loving of relationships. I look forward to hearing more as you go. The photos are precious and I hope we get to see more. This is probably the only place you will find people melting over cute little kitten ears and tails! I am very glad you found the site! It’s a great place to be. Bravo for helping these kitties!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

websgirl50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That gives me so much hope and will definitely do that when I get home. I thought catnip made them nuts, but I will definitely try it. I will try anything for this to be a success. Those babies you posted are adorable. Kittens are the cutest most precious being EVER.

websgirl50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to update everyone. Momma is accepting me cautiously, but no more attacks. She is starting to roll over on her back, played a little, etc. I think I figured her trigger. I put a puppy pad in next to her when she first moved her babies to the floor under my corner desk. She uses it to cover food She doesn't it. I went in this morning to get her dishes. As I picked up her water bowl and remove the old food, which was under puppy pad, she postured like don't touch my stuff and I said relax, I'm getting you new. She didn't come after me. So, progress for sure. All this because of thos amazing community I stumbled upon. I thank you so much!!! The kittens turned 2 weeks yesterday. Now I will need help in how to handle them next week, if she let's me. Haha

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You have definitely made progress. She is just figuring out how things work in your house and once she feels that she understands you will see even more of a change. If she is showing you her tummy, she is signaling that she is beginning to trust you.

websgirl50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh I totally am thinking all you and myself credit because of folks like you!!! I had no idea such incredible knowledge, kindness, willingness to help, and incredibly positive suggestions. I could have this incredible story but .... hahaha.. I feel like it's my first, toffee (aka cayenne, for her spicy personality. She adore my friends. They want all 3 babies. This will be a slow meet and greet. She is still very protective!

thanks for helping!❤❤

websgirl50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh I totally am thinking all you and myself credit because of folks like you!!! I had no idea such incredible knowledge, kindness, willingness to help, and incredibly positive suggestions. I could have this incredible story but .... hahaha.. I feel like it's my first, toffee (aka cayenne, for her spicy personality. She adore my friends. They want all 3 babies. This will be a slow meet and greet. She is still very prote many . They use my vet and are better they then, so they will be awesome everybody knows nobody signs up for surgery and can't give the time, etc., but my friends were perfect

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now I will need help in how to handle them next week, if she let's me.
Go slowly, and maybe at first just sit on the floor and see how close she'll let you get to them over a few times of just sitting. Then, try reaching out a hand, just a bit, not a lot the first time, .. .. like that.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh I totally am thinking all you and myself credit because of folks like you!!! I had no idea such incredible knowledge, kindness, willingness to help, and incredibly positive suggestions. I could have this incredible story but .... hahaha.. I feel like it's my first, toffee (aka cayenne, for her spicy personality. She adore my friends. They want all 3 babies. This will be a slow meet and greet. She is still very protective!

thanks for helping!❤❤
You're doing a great job. You've made great progress! :dancingblackcat:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is wonderful that your friends want to adopt the kittens! The little ones will need to be old enough to be weaned from mom cat but that will be awhile yet so you all have time to get to know each other very well. This will make everything much easier for all. You’re making wonderful progress!