Help! Newborn Won't Suckle At All

winterkittenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a foster cat that gave birth a little over 48 hours ago. the runt was having obvious trouble standing up to the other kittens and refused to nurse at all. we began syringe feeding, but it is basically force feeding and I can't get much into her before she's had enough. I'm worried about her aspirating too much formula. while she is still trucking along she is definitely not gaining weight and she looks like she is losing it.

she is pooping and peeing which means she is digesting whatever she gets. I just need tips on getting her to suckle!! I'm using a syringe with a nipple attached to it. pls help asap!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
W winterkittenn

Take the nipple off and just give her drops in the side of her mouth. How much does she weigh?

You may have to give just 1 mL every hour.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winterkittenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure, but not much. I'm having a problems getting even 1 ml in her. She clamps her mouth shut, squirms, and cries.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she now nursing mom at all? If she is, that would be ideal. She sounds feisty!

Have you weighed her? This is how we will know if she is gaining weight.

You can try wrapping her in a towel like a burrito with only her head sticking out to feed her.

maggielee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What type of nipple are you using? I foster bottle babies and find that they seem to like the "Miracle Nipple" better. They are for sale on Amazon but I found them cheaper from another source on line. Sorry I can't remember the name of the company but I got a ten pack for about $1.50 less for each one than on Amazon. They do cost a lot more than regular nipples but they are supposed to last longer. They are usually shown on a syringe, but I like to use them on a regular small kitten bottle. Be aware: you must put the nipple in the bottle ring from the top as it won't work if you try to attach it by putting it into the ring from the bottom. I agree with Sarthur2 that it is sometimes easier to get them to nurse if you wrap the kitten up into a "purrito." Thank you for helping this precious little kitten!

winterkittenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's hasn't nursed mom since she was about 2 hours old. I seem to have just found a system that works for us- the vet I work for thought she may be getting cold while trying to eat (she is extremely underweight already) so I tried feeding her on her heating block instead of picking her up like we'd been doing. She had a whole cc and with a little encouragement began weakly suckling about halfway through. hopefully this does the trick and she'll start gaining weight!!! thanks guys. unfortunately I have no way of weighing her right now
What type of nipple are you using? I foster bottle babies and find that they seem to like the "Miracle Nipple" better. They are for sale on Amazon but I found them cheaper from another source on line. Sorry I can't remember the name of the company but I got a ten pack for about $1.50 less for each one than on Amazon. They do cost a lot more than regular nipples but they are supposed to last longer. They are usually shown on a syringe, but I like to use them on a regular small kitten bottle. Be aware: you must put the nipple in the bottle ring from the top as it won't work if you try to attach it by putting it into the ring from the bottom. I agree with Sarthur2 that it is sometimes easier to get them to nurse if you wrap the kitten up into a "purrito." Thank you for helping this precious little kitten!
I have seen those but she seems to have figured out the nipple I have. It is similar (it is smaller) it just attaches onto the syringe a little looser. It is just the one the foster coordinator provided. Good news too- she nursed for about 45 seconds from Mom tonight before she got too tired. Obviously ill still be bottle feeding her but I think something 'clicked' for her finally, just in the knick of time

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful its going better now. She although little and weak, is a fighter and wants to live. And thus, there is good and realistic hope, if you are vigorous enough.

I agree on the main proposal; often but little, as she hasnt the strengh to take more at once. so even down to every hour, ie much tighter than in most recipes.

You can add extra energy by smearing thick = swee,t glucose sugar / dextrose sugar water on her mouth and gum. This sugar doesnt need to be digested, it goes into blood already from the mouth, unlike common table sugar. In Sweden we can easily buy dextrose sugar / brand name may be dextropur, in all common shops. Its more difficult to find in USA, so our USA forumists uses honey or white caro syrup. As said, make a sweet solution and smear on her lips.

Your find of her being chilled off while you take her up to feed, is a true one observation
She's hasn't nursed mom since she was about 2 hours old. I seem to have just found a system that works for us- the vet I work for thought she may be getting cold while trying to eat (she is extremely underweight already) so I tried feeding her on her heating block instead of picking her up like we'd been doing. She had a whole cc and with a little encouragement began weakly suckling about halfway through. hopefully this does the trick and she'll start gaining weight!!! thanks guys. unfortunately I have no way of weighing her right now

I have seen those but she seems to have figured out the nipple I have. It is similar (it is smaller) it just attaches onto the syringe a little looser. It is just the one the foster coordinator provided. Good news too- she nursed for about 45 seconds from Mom tonight before she got too tired. Obviously ill still be bottle feeding her but I think something 'clicked' for her finally, just in the knick of time
. Recently we found a remedy for this: Try to get a heating IR-lamp! These are quite common, many rheumatic people uses them. People having terraries with lizards use them too. And of course people raising chickens...
Or you can proceed with what you already do, some sort of common heating pad. But an IR lamp makes it easier.

Do use a scale measuring in grammes. Its the easiest way to notice how its going. Even if you apparently are one of those whom does have "the eye for it" and see by yourself if she is underweight or gaining.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens cannot digest if they are cold, and they cannot maintain their own body temperature for the first 3 weeks, so feeding her on the heating pad is perfect.

The hope is that as she gets stronger she will nurse her mom full-time, but for now, she needs to gain weight.

Are you feeding every hour, and also through the night? She needs this right now.

Can the rescue loan you a kitchen scale that weighs in grams?

winterkittenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys- I was using a heating pad special for animals. I forget what it was called but we had it at the vets office I work at for smaller patients..I microwaved it every time I fed her. I was feeding her every hour through the night- following all the advice I got from this thread. unfortunately, this morning between 9 and 10 she passed away. She was eating better and clearly digesting it(poop) but she was too weak I guess. she was so skinny I could feel every one of her bones. she atleast passed away warm and snuggled in a towel, and mom was laying right outside the carrier she was in. Mom was very concerned to see her body :-( If I have any more questions I'll definitely refer to this site first.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry. She probably had a heart problem. Thank you for trying so hard. RIP little one! :rbheart:

Butterscotch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new here. I just read your post and was rooting for the little tiny one. I am so sorry. I know you did all you could for the little angel.