Help: New To Cat And Kitten Care.

cmcfall53

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
So to explain a little first. I am a dog breeder and Love my fur babies. About a month ago my teenage Son and I came home and found a malnourished young cat ( which we thought was a kitten itself) in our driveway. We couldnt resist but to bring her in and get her better. Well we soon realized she was pregnant.
So today was the big day we came home this afternoon and within hours she had started having kittens in my son's room. About an hour later i went to check on her and noticed that the kittens (6 of them) were trying to eat and that all umbilical cords we still attached. But only 3 afterbirths. Yes 3, multiple kittens attached to each one. I had to infact cut umbilical cords because they were starting to tangle themselves up around each other. Is this normal? Like i said i breed dogs and they have their own indiviual sacs and all. I did not see any being actually born so not sure if any shared a sac but im scratching my head. Like i said im inexperienced with kittens. Please help with any input.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I've learned on here about pregnant cats, each has it's own sac. However, now that that is over, you need to feed mama at least 3 cans of wet kitten food a day. 24/7 access to dry kitten food and at least one saucer/bowl of KMR a day.
Hoping someone who actually has knowledge on pregnant cats will come along and help. If they were bottle babies I could help more, but being a mamma cat....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmcfall53

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so very much. I have given momma some wet food. She is doing great as i can tell. My son is worried she will lay on them and hurt them. But we are watching them close but also keeping our distance. I was not sure if in fact they are all twin do we need to worry about their health.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I knew. Other than the cats I've had which were all fixed, I've only dealt with bottle babies ranging from 2 -10 days and raised them to 6 weeks for other people. I bred horses, not cats.
Just make sure they are suckling. Being a dog breeder you know how important colostrum is.

cmcfall53

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes i do. My last liter of 8 labs had to be bottle fed due to mom not producing enough.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The difference cats and dogs isnt that big here, your earlier experience will be of much help. Although cat food is in part different than dog food, so buy her cat food. Even if it doesnt harm her to taste the dog food you do have at hand.
Goats milk is useful as supplement or emergency kitten mothermilk replacement.

Weigh the kittens every day, so you see they gain as they should; minimum is 6g a day, but 10+ is the usual for healthy kittens.
They being 6, you will perhaps need to rotate them some. Half taking their midday nap in a little extra nest, with a heating pad. And half having quality time with momma. Rotate every second hour.

Good you come home and could help them untangle. AND witness for sure their twin birth as they were attached to the same placenta... The common is they are one and one, every one sack and one mothercake.
But as you saw, twins does happens now and then. Not the common but not unique. Although its not always its observed this way for sure.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My guess is mom is young and inexperienced, so she managed to cut cords on half the kittens, and to eat 3 of the placentas before becoming too overwhelmed and fatigued. This is where you stepped in to help.

Most kittens are born in individual sacs. Twins in one sac are rare.

Thank you for taking in this poor helpless cat.

Is her nest big enough for her to stretch out when nursing?

With 6 kittens you may have a runt or two. Best to weigh each every day to make sure all are gaining 6-10 grams per day. If not, they may need supplementing.

As said, mom needs as much wet and dry food as she wants for nursing. :)

cmcfall53

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to cut all cords as she did not. 3 placentas, all still attached. I was trying to move them to her so they could eat. Yes she has a nice big box with plenty of space. Thank you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, you cut all cords. Thank goodness you were able to assist. It was obviously too much for mom!

Are the kittens doing well now?