Help, New To Breeding And One Of My Kitten Won't Latch

Dalydolls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried rubbing her nose against her mums nipple. I have also tried putting a it of nutrigel on mums nipple too, nothing has worked and she shows so interest. Please help

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its a newborn infant? Is it fully deweloped, hairy and fairly round? Or visibly premature?

It may be Red Alert. Begin with smearing sweet water with honey on its lips and gum. It gives quick energy.

I will proceed soon. D Dalydolls

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be sure the other littermates doesnt disturb it when its nursing.

Where do you live?? its easier to give advices knowing what you can get, and what you cant get...

If necessary, you will be forced to handfeed the kitten. Its common enough.

Use goats milk or some kmr. The brand of KMR in powder is best, but there are also other good brands.
Raw goats milk is good, but cartooned or powdered are OK to use. Use full fat, no diet low fat versions.

You can perhaps use a sponge. Such sponges for make up are good.
You can try to dry off mommas teats with that sponge, so it will get some colostrum. And drench the sponge with kmr or goats milk....

Other way is to give with a little syringe without needle, or a dropper.
The postion: on the belly, head up. In the corner of the mouth, slowly. It takes time and patience before you and the kitten get the routine. You can wrap the kitten so it will be easier to hold.
Train some, because its not entirely easy - you dont want to squirt into lungs...

Come back with reports and further questions, so you will get more guidance. There is always someone here wanting to help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
D Dalydolls Be sure this kitten doesnt get cold. Weak kittens are often cold, and being cold takes strengh from them....

You must be wigorous and fight on. Weak kittens can usually be saved, but you must step in resolutely. With a little luck she will be OK in a couple of days...

Its also good you weigh her every day - in the beginning every 12 hours. If she adds you know your work is succesfull and she is OK. If she doesnt add and grows you begin to worry...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the kitten is visibly premature, the risk is big nothing will help whatever you do. Still, fight on if its alive...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No more nutrigel. You may try a bit of honey on the kitten’s gums for some energy.

How old is the mother?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is the kitten doing now? If it won't nurse you must supplement with a tiny syringe and kitten formula.