Help Needed For Catching A Feral Cat - (suspected Broken Rear Leg)

mir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am located in the Cupertino, CA area. There are three feral cats in my backyard (, all born this summer). One of them got a leg broken (I think), which I'd like to take to the vet. But, the BIG problem is how to capture it. I got scratches on my own face while trying this morning. And the cat, needless to say, was even more terrified.

It's been day 3 of its injury. I am losing sleep while thinking of its suffering. I need help to get it to a medical facility. It just came to my mind. Is "drugging it" a possibility? It's incredibly agile even with 3 legs... I am no rival...

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask your local rescue group/society for a humane cat trap. Get 3 since there are 3 cats. If u can afford to neuter them as well do it because then they will most likely become friendly and easier to handle. Try take a video of him walking as well there could be other reasons other than a broken leg. But cat traps are definitely the way to go and definitely get 3 cos no doubt the other cats will go in there before he does I hope u can help him soon poor boy xx

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am going to give you the same advice I give everyone else about feral cats.
If your local animal control is willing to come and trap the cat and then keep it until the leg heals then great.
Otherwise, provide plenty of food and water so he does not have to go far to find food. Provide a higher protein food if possible it will aide in healing.
If the cat is feral and you can not bring it inside or it doesn't want to stay inside then any cast they put on the leg will pose a threat. He is safest if he can stay close to your home while he heals.
Do not try to drug him, you could end up killing him or he might wander off and hide and you will be in a worse mess because he may stop trusting your food.
I also recommend neutering as soon as possible. If they are all male they will start fighting soon and may bring home female cats which would make your 3 cute ferals into a huge problem.
San Jose Animal Care and services has a tnr program. The cages require a $50 deposit and the cost of alteration is $25 according to the website.
I didn't see any restrictions on county or anything but their phone number is (408) 794-7205.
Maybe they can point in you in a helpful direction or offer further advice.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tamed my boy feral outside, then in the garage, with food and by petting him with a long handled duster. Then I just got him to walk inside the house one day. I never had to trap him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice. Now, my goal is to make sure it eat... It refused to come to me for food, for obvious reason. This morning, with several tries, and tempting it with cheese, I finally got it to eat. It can not put the (broken) leg down at all; however, it seemed to manage with 3 legs...

I did try to use the trap earlier this summer but somehow they escaped... So, I kept putting food out for them 3. This injured one is the "boldest" one and most inclined to petting... I am so sad that I don't know how to get it to a doctor.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The leg will heal given time. It is important that he doesn't have to leave the home territory to look for food.
It is best if you can put food out for them to eat at their whim. Cheese is not advised but the broken legged one does need calcium.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's too bad you aren't a bit closer, I have a cat rescue group in Vacaville, CA
Leg may not be broken at all, and a decent chance that due to being unneutered he got into it with another unneutered male and got bit, which causes a painful abcess he will continue holding his leg up until it finally bursts and drains, giving great relief.
There are many ways to trap. Never try to grab the cat like you did, you will surely be hurt!
Use a humane trap, a drop trap, a small cage or carrier with a string attached to the door latch and run it through the back, etc.
Tuna in water is what I find works best to lure them in.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's too bad you aren't a bit closer, I have a cat rescue group in Vacaville, CA
Leg may not be broken at all, and a decent chance that due to being unneutered he got into it with another unneutered male and got bit, which causes a painful abcess he will continue holding his leg up until it finally bursts and drains, giving great relief.
There are many ways to trap. Never try to grab the cat like you did, you will surely be hurt!
Use a humane trap, a drop trap, a small cage or carrier with a string attached to the door latch and run it through the back, etc.
Tuna in water is what I find works best to lure them in.
I thought an abscess too. I also once had a wild stray who I thought had a broken leg and it healed all on its own and he’s fine now. Still hates me but he’s fine lol

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A broken leg can heal on it's own, but whether it heals correctly or not is a crap shoot, it may heal well enough to operate pretty normally later, or it can have blood supply cut off and end up needing amputation.

All in all I still lean towards an abcess since he is not neutered.
This is so dangerous though, it only takes one bite from an infected cat with fiv or felv to infect him.
This trio seriously needs to be fixed.
Do some digging and see about getting help from a rescue group or contact the shelter for direction, but putting it off is nothing but trouble and will cause you much grief later. Your trio will soon become 8 or 9, then 14, and that's by next August!
There are low cost options, just need to dig around and find them.

Abcess will take about 5 days total until it bursts, and you will know right away, the drainage build up finally blows a hole through the skin so it can escape. The fur will be missing where the abcess was too. But he will feel alot better.

An abcess will cause him not to use that leg at all and lose his appetite as they are painful.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
True. I started with 5 cats and ended up with over 3@ but I’m in saudi so strays are very common. Dealt with many abscesses too, some healed on their own and some needed draining and antibiotics and hes very painful. Also dealt with a broken hip but all are well now thank god

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a stray show up dragging her hind leg. The bones had been shattered through abuse or being run over. It had to be amputated.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a stray show up dragging her hind leg. The bones had been shattered through abuse or being run over. It had to be amputated.
That’s terrible m, 1 or 2 legs? Already amputated? I have seen lots of kitties get round ok like this even though it’s sad. Can she toilet herself still? Hopefully no nerve damage as well

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s terrible m, 1 or 2 legs? Already amputated? I have seen lots of kitties get round ok like this even though it’s sad. Can she toilet herself still? Hopefully no nerve damage as well
Just one leg. It was just getting in her way, she didn't have any other problems. She has been adopted now.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just one leg. It was just getting in her way, she didn't have any other problems. She has been adopted now.

That’s great we had to do that with a dog here in saudi too and now she’s in a perfect home in America ❤ Thanks for helping the cat you found I’m glad she has a home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the inputs. I am praying for something not so serious... Yesterday I caught a glimpse of a "wound" on the back of the troubled leg, which I didn't see or failed to see earlier. It's lifting that one leg, barely touching the ground, dangling, and the knee part having a slight outward bent. Several days ago, it only sat on its sides. Today, it seemed to sit more upright (like a cat/dog normally sit) only at times. It's day 6 from Sunday, when it happened.

Good news is that it had 4 good meals (they eat twice a day), consisting of fish, chicken and some kibbles. It was outside sun-bathing, just then. For the past few days, it stayed in their hiding places. The other two seemed to be in a more relaxed mood, outside playing on the garden chairs. Prior, the two were very tense, seemed to share the "pain".

As I said that I did try to trap them earlier this summer. But after their escape (for very stupid reason), they became very alert and leery of the cage, even with skipped meals. The operation is called off then. The plan is to resume after the New Year.