Help - Need to Transfer Kittens

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy Jcatbird Jcatbird fionasmom fionasmom Furballsmom Furballsmom moxiewild moxiewild Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose First I want to thank each of you for all your guidance during my recent journey with trapping momma and kittens and socializing advice.

When I trapped momma and the first two kittens I only had one crate available so they are in there with her. I need to get them out so I can start socializing them. She obviously will not let me near and they run back to her.

They are in an Xtra large dog crate with front and side doors.

I thought about getting a net. Putting a trap in there. Trying to get momma to go into a carrier temporarily without the kittens following her. Putting up a cardboard box with a small doorway only the kittens could go through.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The box idea could work. I sometimes had to block a mom too. Over time I gathered a few tools. Lol The easiest is a stiff piece of cardboard to put between you and mom. Think gloves for handling can save you from a swat or bite from mom or babies. I also acquired a second crate and put the door against the other cage door. Often babies played in the second cage and mom cat rested which allowed me to block the door to mom easily. I also have a fish net but I liked the cardboard better. Less scary for all. Another thing I did was to put a small cat carrier in the cage. The kittens usually got inside and mom got on top. I could close the carrier door and confine the kittens and then deal with getting mom aside with some treat and just take the carrier out. After some socializing, I returned the carrier and kittens to Mom. That helped the mom to trust me. You’ve done great and I’m sure you will manage this too. Do keep updating please! Good luck! :goldstar:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with cardboard over netting if you can go that route. Make sure to protect yourself with something like rose pruning gloves and even a long sleeved heavy jacket. You are doing a wonderful job and I know how stressful this is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I named the blue/grey one Heather and it would appear she is stuck to her momma :lol:. I was able to transfer one, but Heather is going to be tuff. Now when I go out to see them I have kittens purring on my phone which seems to relax everyone.
HealtherMom.jpg

Attachments

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I do the same thing for this that I do to target trap kittens and avoid trapping Momma (until all kittens are caught).

I make a kitten screen out of cardboard and lure them to the other side (for trapping, this means bait, for luring out of a crate, it can be bait or toys).

This is what it looks like for a trap -

FF1C980C-E8C2-451D-A998-59417D8F6A50.jpeg

I just size it to fit the crate, and don’t necessarily zip tie (depends on what exactly I’m doing and how quickly I can lure them out).

You got some pretty kitties there! Great work!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got done cleaning and setting up a carrier out there. At least the kitten has moved away from momma lol
1605651830626.png