Help!! My Recently Adopted Cat Had Her Litter Today..lots Of Questions

jf87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat delivered her litter this morning..4 kittens...she did it privately in my basement since she is still warming up to us...this Thursday is 2 weeks since we found her...deff not a feral be pretty leery of people. anyways she had the babies in a far from great spot and want to bring them upstairs to a nice warm quiet bedroom....I figure its ok to handle them quickly and back off again but momma has gotten pretty defensive of almost my whole basement since she delivered early this morning...lots of growling and hissing. I don't want her to bit me...is it ok to move the kittens upstairs and then let her just follow their scent up to there new room ??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can bring the kittens upstairs. Mom should follow. She is naturally being very protective of her babies right now. She's also very hormonal.

Get the room set up with mom's food, water, and litter before moving the babies.

Talk softly and move very slowly around mom. Blink slowly at her to signal that you are friendly.

I hope this helps! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jf87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you very much, last thing I want to do is burn bridges with her. going to give her until tomorrow to just rest and bond with her babies before the move. thanks again

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's a good idea. Cats tend to calm down even more about 2 days after giving birth.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could first set up a box or a basket with a small blanket or towel and take it down to the basement and put it next to where she has the kittens and just put them in the box and leave. She might move them back but she might decide that is a better place and stay in the box. Then all you have to do a few days later is move the box with the kittens in it. She has already accepted the box so moving it will be less of a problem of her accepting it. I would pick up the box with her watching and slowly move it, stopping to let her see that the kittens are still there and finally place it in the new spot with her watching so she can check it out as you go.
Another option is to set up a cat carrier again with some soft material and move them into that and let her get used to that. Then when she is in it, close the door and move the entire crew to the new location.
Since my cats are so attached to me if I have to use a carrier to move them I give them a shirt I have been wearing or even my pillow case to sit on so they can smell me even though they are in a different place. I think it helps.