Help my kitten swallowed a foil streamer

sabrinaj1977

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HELP!! My cat swallowed a streamer.

My 5 mth old kitten Angel just swallowed a foil streamer from a cheerleading pom pom. She is a calico short hair. She weighs about 3 lbs. She is a happy hyper kitten. She seems fine running around like nothing is wrong. She hasn't vomited or gagged. I looked in her mouth, but it's not caught on her tongue or teeth. It's just gone. I don't know what to do to help her. We really can't afford a trip to the vet. Money is tight right now. Please help!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinaj1977

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pretty sure. I saw her chewing on it. When I went to stop her she ran under the bed with it in her mouth. My son and I both looked under the bed for the streamer and couldn't find it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinaj1977

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've kept an eye on her in case she throws it up and nothing. She is acting like her usual self. She is a very hyper active kitten.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I ask a stupid question? By "pom-pom streamer" do you mean just one individual piece of those long, thin foil (I don't know what they are made out of) strips?

If that is the case, I seriously would not worry, although I'd monitor all litter box output for it. As well as look for any abnormal behaviors. Something that flexible I really doubt would pose a problem.

Remember that cats naturally swallow bone fragments, pieces of the stiff shafts of feathers (I recently learned those are called the "rachis" but if I'm wrong, correct me), etc.

Bottom line, from my layman's perspective (but I am no vet): don't worry... watch the poop... watch your cat's behavior as only you can, as you know her behavior more than anyone else. If anything looks wrong, then contact a vet and ask follow-up questions.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The problem with the foil streamers is that they don’t degrade and since the piece is long, so there is a chance it can cut through the intestines, if it was actually eaten. I would definitely watch for any signs of discomfort , lack of appetite, or vomiting.
Unfortunately it is too late now to induce vomiting and you would need to go to the vet for that.
An X-ray would show the location of the piece and let you know if it was going to pass ok or not.