Help, my cat with e-tube vomits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mINI.d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10 year old cat has had an esophageal tube for 6 days. He came home 3 days ago, but he has vomited around 6 times and sleeps all the time. He takes 9 medications including Trihepat, Predni Pet's S and Hempet's.

I'm worried, the vets say I should feed him slower, however he gags all the time. His pee is very yellow. They say that for every 1 mL I have to wait 3 minutes, but as I wait, the food starts to get cold.

I don't know if I'm rushing, as it's only been 3 days, but he was hospitalized for 3 days prior due to inflammation in his intestine, gallbladder, and pancreas, as well as vomiting, so I'm concerned that I'm feeding him the wrong way. and worse.

His advice and experiences would help me a lot, thank you. :sniffle:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You need to slow things way down. Figure out a way to keep the food warm, maybe in a container that's sitting in another container of warm to hot water, but whatever works so that you aren't feeling rushed even a little.

If you can, ask the vet if they have a video of how it should be done or if they can send someone to your house to show you how to correctly feed through the tube, and then follow through. You need confidence as you do this, for your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mINI.d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
You need to slow things way down. Figure out a way to keep the food warm, maybe in a container that's sitting in another container of warm to hot water, but whatever works so that you aren't feeling rushed even a little.

If you can, ask the vet if they have a video of how it should be done or if they can send someone to your house to show you how to correctly feed through the tube, and then follow through. You need confidence as you do this, for your cat.

Thank you very much for answering!. I'm going to the vet tomorrow, but for now, should I continue to offer him his medicines and food? He threw up an hour ago.

mINI.d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, he needs nutrition, as much as you both can manage since his system isn't having much time to absorb the nutrients 💞
In about 20 minutes he has food and 3 liquid medications. The vet told me that I should slow it down but also give the medicines and food at the exact time. How can I do that? By trying to make it slow I end up in an hour or more. Thanks again :thanks:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By trying to make it slow I end up in an hour or more.
Maybe one of these pieces of info will help?

Our Vet told us the whole feeding should take between three and four minutes and our boy is getting about 70mls of food per feeding so our plan for today was probably smaller, more frequent feedings that go a bit slower to try and prevent that nausea. We have been warming it up just because we make all their food in the morning and then store in the fridge.
This is about the feeding tube. They can be wonderful both for getting food, water and medicine inside your cat. I found the important thing to remember, for your cat's comfort and to prevent vomiting, when you squirt food into the feeding tube put no more than one cat sized bite in at a time. yes, the feeding tube skips swallowing, but inside, deep in the esophagus the body is still prepared to deal with bite size amounts at one swallow, not more. It adds very little time to the feeding and, I found helped my cat relax and accept medicine and food.

mINI.d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe one of these pieces of info will help?
thank you very much! They helped me a lot, although I still have questions. I fed my cat as slowly as possible, however he continues to gag :frown: so I was only able to give him 10 mL of food. I think that the 5 mL of water that I give him at the end to rinse are not enough, a lot of food remains in the tube, and while I wait to continue feeding him, I feel that he is getting cold there. Again, thank you very much for answering! :runningcat:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The gagging surprises me, but that's probably because things change over the years. The tube our cat had went down his throat almost to his stomach. It was actually too short for our cat, but all the vet had. Yours may be different. You might ask your vet how long the tube is compared to the cat. Mostly so you'll know.

mINI.d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks for your answers. I took Juancho to the vet two days ago, he gave us new recommendations to use the tube and made changes to the prescription, Juancho has been much better these two days! :hyper:
He hasn't vomited and has been a little more active, however, due to the decompensation of the first days of tube feeding, he was dehydrated and lost weight, I hope that will eventually be resolved.
Today he pooped, although a little and it's hard. 😕

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you ask the vet about adding miralax to help with his poop? It's easy to mix up 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon in a little water and add that to the food.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What was the reason for the e tube? Does he have hepatitic lipidosis? Has an ultrasound been done of the abdomen to look at the liver etc? Has your cat been tested for pancreatitis?

What are you feeding? Did they take an X-ray after the tube was placed to make sure it was in place? I know, allot of questions.

When you are feeding, are you allowing the tube to be left uncapped at any time? When you feed do you’d flush with water first and after? How much are you feeding at a time? How warm are you getting the food? Are you making sure there are no air bubbles in the food? Have they discussed you giving SQ fluids at home?

mINI.d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I stopped updating because during these days all my time was invested in my baby.

Although the way I fed him the tube improved every day, Juancho's health worsened. He was already feeling very bad, so together with the vet, we made the decision to let him go yesterday.

My heart is broken, and I don't know what my life will be like from now on. However, I want to thank you for taking the time to read and advise me quickly. Thanks a lot.

mINI.d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If any of the questions I can answer may be of help to anyone else, please let me know

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I think I know how you are feeling now.
Six years ago I had to let go my cat, and she had been with an E-tube for three days when I decided it was time.
When she went to the Bridge, I though I was dying with her, I couldn't imagine a life without her. But then I went on, day by day.
Six years later I'm still missing her a lot, and think of her every day, and speak out her name at least once a day.
I wish you to recover fast.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the TCS Team, we are very sorry for your loss. :hugs: Threads are locked after a loss as a sign of respect. When you feel up to it please consider starting a tribute thread for Juancho in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace, little one. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.