Help! My Cat Is Pregnant Again!

Polycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really need your opinions and advices on this one. Our cat Fluff had a litter of three just 12 days ago. It was her first litter and she's done an amazing job taking care of ker kittens. I was so proud of her. We've decided to spay her because 2 kittens are males and also because we don't want any more cats but since the kittens aren't even 2 weeks old and are not yet weaned we've decided to wait until she weans them. Yesterday I've noticed that she's in heat and we were watching over her so she wouldn't sneak out .. but somehow when we weren't paying too much attention she managed to sneak out and she was mating with neighbour's cat. I am not sure if she is in fact pregnant ... I am taking her to the vet tomorrow ... but still I am super nervous and I have so many questions which I hope you could help me with. Will she neglect her kittens now that she's mated? And my greatest concern ... is she a threat to her kittens now that she's mated ... would she hurt them or something like that? Thank you so much for all your answers in advance.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Leaving the guesswork aside, the best is probably to spay her NOW, as soon the heat is over. The vet will know she is nursing and thus take care not to cut throught any mammal glands / teats. She can almost surely proceed to nurse already in 24 hours, perhaps even earlier. Moms whom got emergency spaying usually can.

Its of course wise of you to prepare, so you arent unpleasantly catched. Have kmr / goats milk at hand, needleless syringe / small sponge, and such. Perhaps also an IR-heating lamp and or heating pads...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Polycat Polycat

I agree with spaying her in about 2 weeks when the kittens are one month.

You can drop her off and pick her up the same day. You may need to feed the kittens 1-2 times while she is away, but she will nurse them when she gets home.

Back-to-back litters are very hard on mom - nursing and being pregnant at the same time drains her of nutrients.

Be sure to feed mom kitten chow and plenty of wet food. A dish of kitten formula a day will help with her calcium needs. The powdered PetAg KMR is excellent.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do get her spayed now. Mom will force the kittens away earlier than she would normally if she's pregnant again. The vet will not be able to confirm anything tomorrow, but chances are very high she's pregnant.

Can you go ahead and schedule a spay about 2-3 weeks from now?

And I do hope you plan to spay and neuter the kittens too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Polycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your replies. I went to vet he did a check-up on our cat I told him about the situation and we scheduled a spay in about two weeks just like you all said. I am a bit worried though because our cat began to act like a ferral all of a sudden. She moved the kittens outside our house! I went after her and moved the kittens back inside and then when she came back I brought her inside as well to show her the kittens ... then she licked them a bit and went out again ... she was completely ignorant of her kittens so I had to step in. I covered them with a blanket to keep them warm but I didn't feed them because I was affraid that she might completely abandon them if I do so ... luckily she came back later and she fed them and licked them a bit. This morning she sneaked out again and the kittens are left alone again ... I really don't know what to do ... should I interfere at this point and feed the kittens myself?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is imperative that she not be allowed out at all. Put them in a room and close the door. Put mom's food, water, and litter in the room too.

Yes, you must feed the kittens. They need to nurse frequently, not at mom's whim. They can go downhill very quickly!

Do you have formula and a syringe? Do you know how to feed properly?

The kittens are too young for mom to leave them for long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Polycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know what's gotten into her ... it might be because her mom was a ferral and Fluff was about 2 1/2 months old when we took both of them in ... so Fluff also spent some time as a ferral and that might've gotten back to her. I would not write about her sneaking out if keeping her inside was that easy. She had her spot under the stairs then she sneaked out so I moved her in my bedroom and put her in a baby fence so she would stay there. I also closed the door and the windows so I was 100% sure she could not escape. And she was good she stayed there she didn't even protest while I was there. At about 1 PM I brought her lunch and as I opened the door she just jumped out and she sneaked out through the front door( we have a cat flap) ... I know it was my fault but still I don't think that's normal ... I assume that she's been waiting behind the doors the whole time because when I checked with the kittens they were a bit cold and also hungry ... they were meowing and they also drank a lot of milk when I gave it to them ... I seriously don't know ... are our kittens orphaned now? You might think that I don't care for my cat or that I am inexperienced but actually the only reason why I am asking such questions is because I really love her and I want to take good care of her and her kittens. I admit that I've never experienced such behaviour before ... before Fluff I had another cat named Daisy and she was always inside she rarely went out and she never went out alone. Anyways my sisters wanted to have kittens so we got Daisy into a breeding program and then she had a litter of 2 but she couldn't produce enough milk so we had to feed them too. When the kittens began to eat normal food Daisy got spayed so this was her only litter and we never had any problems of that kind so I really don't know what to do and how to react when Fluff is acting like this. Thank you again for all your answers and advices. I'll see how Fluff will behave tomorrow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she is in heat still. Is she back yet?

Are the kittens doing okay? Do you have a heating pad under their blanket?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It also sounds like you might need a two door system. Mom needs to be behind a closed door whenever a door to the outside is open.