Help My Cat Is Acting Weird After Having Her Kittens Nearly 6 Weeks Ago

Kitten434

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I’m wondering if anyone can help me understand what’s going on with my cat?,she had her second set of kittens nearly 6 weeks ago but since having them she’s acting weird,she does her business on top of counter tops in bedrooms and anywhere but she used to use a litter tray?and she won’t let anyone near her when eating and tries to take food off plates,she’s been wormed but it’s not helped,I have a baby on the way and I really don’t want to have to get rid of my cat

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly, it may be that now these little guys are getting more active and able to bother her, she may be getting stressed. Cats, when stressed, will often indicate it through inappropriate elimination. Generally, the solution is more trays and bigger trays. Throw a litter tray in the bedroom and the kitchen if she keeps going to these spots. Often litter trays are actually too small as well, so getting bigger trays can make them more appealing.
Another thing to consider: she might be sick. Sometimes inappropriate elimination is indicative of a more serious underlying problem. So, in general, it's not a bad idea to take her to the vet (who can also work with you to address the behaviour if it's not illness related).
I also recommend having her spayed once the kittens are weaned, since pregnancy, hormones, and raising kittens, are all big stressors that may be the primary contributors.

Britmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I’m wondering if anyone can help me understand what’s going on with my cat?,she had her second set of kittens nearly 6 weeks ago but since having them she’s acting weird,she does her business on top of counter tops in bedrooms and anywhere but she used to use a litter tray?and she won’t let anyone near her when eating and tries to take food off plates,she’s been wormed but it’s not helped,I have a baby on the way and I really don’t want to have to get rid of my cat
My British Shorthair queen acted in a similar way, not using her litter box after she had her kittens. She was healthy, and I changed litter types, added more boxes, but nothing really worked. Finally after a month of this she has started using her box again most of the time. She has always had intense heat cycles, and I think it may just be hormones. She goes into heat often and year round, and she’s loud and demanding when she does. She’s beautiful and sweet most of the time.