HELP! My baby is lethargic and has a fever šŸ˜„šŸ˜„

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
So, after a month of living with his new brother (who came with feline herpes) it seems as if my 3-year old boy is now not feeling well.
He just seemed off the last day of two and Iā€™m of the feeling that ā€œowners knowā€ when a baby just isnā€™t themselves. I took him to the vet today and he had a good checkup with his only symptom being a fever of 40.0 C. She also said his breathing seemed a little loud but his lungs were clear and that could just have been because he was breathing harder with vet stress and the fever.
I was sent home with a recommendation of 1/2 a tablet of his brothers Famciclovir twice a day and to see how he does over the next 48 hours. Heā€™s so sad and depressed lookingā€¦ not eating or drinking (I did syringe a couple of droppers of water into him) and he did use the box for a very small pee.
Is there anything else I can do for him? Anyone deal with them before? I do have some Meloxicam on hand for my dog (not sure I can give to a cat if itā€™s the dog formula) so if heā€™s not better by tomorrow noon, I may call and ask about this.
This boy is my heart so Iā€™m worried about him. Any help or reassurance would be appreciated šŸ˜„

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you mention the not eating and drinking at the vet? Not eating, drinking and fever all point to some sort of infection (in my experience not a vet). Which an antiviral would theoretically help if it is a virus issue. But it could be a bacterial infection which that wouldn't help with. It also could be maybe a blockage or constipation as other guesses. The symptoms are pretty general but I don't know if I would feel comfortable with a wait 48 hours direction with just an antiviral on board. Don't give the medicine leftover from another situation or animal, you don't want to mistreat or make things worse.

I'd either go back, ask for xrays and blood work, or go for a second opinion. Something isn't right and not eating or drinking is a pretty big issue in cats. They are start having medical complications pretty early on if either of those go on for too long.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
He had had some treats when I got home from work (around 1:30) and his vet appt was at 4:45 so I had said that he hadnā€™t eaten much but usually doesnā€™t and that I hadnā€™t seen him drink or use the litter. So I was more grey about that.
Since my first post, heā€™s stayed pretty much the sameā€¦ sleepy. Iā€™ve given him some more water through a syringe and brought him to his box a couple of times ā€¦ he just jumps out and goes back upstairs to his bed (not the usual symptoms of a blockage as we lost a friend this year who had that problem - he passed of cancer but had crystals as well).
We installed a bird feeder and have had some major activity in the yard this weekend, birds, squirrels and chipmunks so heā€™s been up all day long watching. Heā€™s usually a daytime sleeper and a nighttime player so Iā€™m wondering if he got worn down from lack of ā€œcat napsā€ all weekend. I will wait and see how he is in the morning and if no better, will call the vet and get him in again ASAP!

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes if a cat is extra sleepy you can give them a gentle but brisk rub down and that'll wake them up a bit more. Sometimes it'll be enough to get them to eat/drink or use the litter box. Also try offering things he usually only gets as a treat like tuna or something and see if he's more interested in that. Also add some tuna juice or tuna or something else he sees as interesting to some water in a small shallow dish and see if he'll drink on his own that way.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats not eating/drinking isn't uncommon, if a cat isn't feeling well they normally refuse to eat/drink and need to be encouraged with treat foods like tuna. I use a bit of tuna mixed into water to encourage mine to drink as well, and it usually works.

It would be good to at least call the vet and see if there's anything that can be done to help encourage him to eat/drink on his own. Usually once treatment kicks in he'll start feeling better and go back to eating and drinking.

My cats have been here before mostly my lil bit who I'm currently nursing back to her normal self again. As long as you're paying attention to him and keeping on top of things I'm sure he'll pull through just fine. Cats are made of tougher stuff than we realize.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's probably picked up an upper respiratory infection from the stress of the new kitty. It's very common. Try offering some plain meat baby food such as chicken or turkey, no veggies or onions. You could also try boiling a chicken thigh in plain water, no seasonings added. Shred it and offer with a little of the broth.

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, he just had a big pee and is now awake, albeit slow moving, and watching out the back door for any wild life. Not saying we are over the hump by any means but, a positive sign. He had a nice long nap on the top of his cat tree this evening and Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s helped. Now to get through the night šŸ¤žšŸ¼šŸ¤žšŸ¼

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
Morning has come and he has rebounded! His energy isnā€™t at 100% but heā€™s up and moving and feels a lot cooler now than he did last night. Heā€™s also had some dry food and treats with no hesitation šŸ™ŒšŸ»šŸ™ŒšŸ»
Iā€™ll be keeping an eye on his all day and see how he does with the medication and how his energy levels are.
Thank you for all the suggestions and help. Iā€™ll update here with any changes or progress ā¤

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
Another small updateā€¦ heā€™s had a second dose of the meds this morning and I just checked on him and he was sleeping but perked right up. We played with his favourite supervision only toy, knitting needles on a cable (donā€™t ask) and he was having a great session of fetch. Also gobbled up some more treats and even stole his brothers! Makes me feel so much better knowing he appears to be on the mend. ā¤