Help!!! Momma Cat Had Kittens But Wont Leave Adopted Kittens

Paris' human mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so I adopted my cat Paris about a month and a half ago. (Pregnant) about a week later I rescued two 2 week old kittens which Paris immediately started nursing and nurturing (even though she didn't have any milk) she became their mother, cleaning them, carrying them back to their box, even taking them from our laps when she felt we held them too long.
Last night she went into labor and had the 2 rescue kittens in her birthing box nursing them. I woke up at 11:30pm and both kittens were attached nursing her as I realized she was pushing out a baby. I immediately removed the rescue kittens (now 10 weeks old) and she went on to have 3 kittens all about 30min apart.
After the 3rd one I could still feel movement (at least one or 2 more kittens inside) paris cleaned her 3 kittens, and rested. Come 5:30am, the other kitten still has not been delivered, and infact Paris is too worried about the 2 older kittens, rather than her 3 newborn babies that are ACTUALLY HERS. she wont stop ripping at the carpet and door trying to get out of my bedroom to get to the older kittens. She managed to escape once when I had to leave my bedroom and went straight to the older kittens, grabbing one by the scruff and dragging her to her box of kittens, trying to force her to nurse. Starla (one of the rescue older kittens) immediately jumped out and paris went after her not caring about her babies that are cold and hungry. (I'm not letting them get cold).
Its bearing 7:00am, she has yet to deliver the last kitten (possibly 2) and I cannot for the life of me get her to stop worrying about the 2 older kittens. The only thing that I can do is leave my bedroom door open so the other 2 kittens can be near so she will at least calm down enough to get back in the box with her babies.
Please help, I need advice, vet is closed for another hour, and is an hour drive away and I'm worried.
20180713_233524.jpg
20180716_015745.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will have any other babies inside of her when her body is ready.

Separate the two older kittens from mom immediately, and spend as much time in the room with mom as you can for the next couple of days. Do not let let the older kittens and mom see each other.

Ten week old kittens have no business nursing or being around newborns.

Mom bonded with them due to her hormonal instincts, but in a couple of days she should settle down and care 100% for her new babies. Are they nursing well?

In the meantime, get a plug-in Feliway diffuser and put it in mom’s room, and begin giving her a dish a day of kitten formula for extra calcium that she needs for nursing.

Get a can of powdered PetAg KMR.

No vet needed for this situation. Just try to relax. Mom will relax more eventually too! :)

Paris' human mommy Paris' human mommy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris' human mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She will have any other babies inside of her when her body is ready.

Separate the two older kittens from mom immediately, and spend as much time in the room with mom as you can for the next couple of days. Do not let let the older kittens and mom see each other.

Ten week old kittens have no business nursing or being around newborns.

Mom bonded with them due to her hormonal instincts, but in a couple of days she should settle down and care 100% for her new babies. Are they nursing well?

In the meantime, get a plug-in Feliway diffuser and put it in mom’s room, and begin giving her a dish a day of kitten formula for extra calcium that she needs for nursing.

Get a can of powdered PetAg KMR.

No vet needed for this situation. Just try to relax. Mom will relax more eventually too! :)

Ended up bringing her to the vet. I was worried because she is such a small cat (6.2lbs) that there could be problems. They did an x-ray and found 2 more kittens stuck under her ribs. They are going to try pitocin before resorting to a c-section.

I have been trying to separate her from the older kittens, which has resorted in a hole in our brand new carpet from her trying to dig out a hole under the door.

I have my closet set up with 2 boxes, fresh food/water and clean litter box. I plan on making me a little bed in there when she gets back home and spending the day in there with her keeping her with her kittens and keeping her calm. Hopefully that will help?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why do the vets think she needs pitocin?

I would think the kittens would move down soon so she could have the kittens on her own in the next few days.

How are the kittens being fed right now?

Paris' human mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why do the vets think she needs pitocin?

I would think the kittens would move down soon so she could have the kittens on her own in the next few days.

Vet said with it being so many hours after the first 3 kittens were born, they need to come out so they/she dont die.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How many hours has it been?

Paris' human mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's going on 11 hours. First 3 kittens stayed with her at the vet so they can feed from mom.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Honestly, that’s not much time.

Cats can safely go several days between kitten deliveries, especially if the cat mated more than once over several days, those two kittens may need 2-3 more days or a week to be ready.

My standard advice is to WAIT if the cat is not in distress and the kittens are alive and not in distress.

Please discuss this with the vet before he performs any surgery.

Paris' human mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Honestly, that’s not much time.

Cats can safely go several days between kitten deliveries, especially if the cat mated more than once over several days, those two kittens may need 2-3 more days or a week to be ready.

My standard advice is to WAIT if the cat is not in distress and the kittens are alive and not in distress.

Please discuss this with the vet before he performs any surgery.

This has been an emotional roller coaster. Vet said at the 12 hour mark, kittens are more than likely no longer viable. Was given some gruesome options that made me bawl my eyes out. I called the vet back to ask when I can bring her home to make her comfortable and Paris birthed the last 2 babies healthy and alive! This day has been a bit much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I’m glad it all worked out, but your vet sounds like he could use a little more experience.

Sorry the vet put you through that. :agree:

Are mom and kittens back home now?

Paris' human mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I’m glad it all worked out, but your vet sounds like he could use a little more experience.

Sorry the vet put you through that. :agree:

Are mom and kittens back home now?
Yeah, it was quite the ordeal. But all are home and well now. 3 healthy boys and 2 healthy girls! Only dilemma I face now, is she seems to only rest when i am in the closet with her. As soon as i leave she jumps out of the box and goes haywire. (Litter EVERYWHERE, diarrhea everywhere, things knocked over) she is generally a very calm cat, very loving and nurturing, and VERY clean in the litter box. For what ever reason she seems to be having a lot of anxiety though. But as soon as I come and sit next to the box she jumps back in and lays down. A little worried. Is it normal for her to leave her babies this young?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This behavior is normal for about 48 hours after a cat gives birth.

She will calm down soon. It’s her hormones, and she needs reassurance from you.

Stay with her as much as you can until she relaxes in a day or two.

I promise it will get better!

Paris' human mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This behavior is normal for about 48 hours after a cat gives birth.

She will calm down soon. It’s her hormones, and she needs reassurance from you.

Stay with her as much as you can until she relaxes in a day or two.

I promise it will get better!
Thank you for all your help through this. It was definitely stressful, and turns out, it didn't need to be! Now I know, if this is something I ever run into again. (Although I don't see myself adopting anymore cats anytime in the near future)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I knew it already, but Sarthur2 Sarthur2 is more knowledgeable about kittens & pregnant cats than your vet. Glad you went with your instinct and took her home.

Looks like one has a polka dot back & another has a polka dot head. I can't wait to see pics of each of them once they're a little bit bigger.

Paris' human mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*UPDATE* Paris and kittens are doing fantastic! Babies are opening their eyes and are figuring out how to hiss! Paris is such a good mommy that they hardly ever whine because she is right there at the first whimper! She is eating and drinking great, and thanks to Royal Canin mother and baby, shes even gaining weight back!

Attachments