Help Me!!!

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do I stop raccoons from coming into my yard and scaring my cats. Our house is fenced all around! How do they get in. One piece in the back is just high wood, we didnt have a chance to finish a little part, a part in back is a chain fence and rest is plastic fence, high too
Ty!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The raccoons must be going under the fence. Can you bring your cats inside at night?

Also, do not leave cat food out at night. Food attracts them.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah yes raccoons... they have destroyed more than one of my live traps used for tnr. I have even had them come up as I was baiting my traps for cats!

My point is sarthur2 is very right. If you can't keep your cats in, especially when feeding them then you have to adopt a "feeding time" for your outside babies. Once they have eaten the food is put up, any crumbs swept up and no spilled liquids that leave tasty stains. Once they have found food they will keep coming back even for the crumbs.

Some people have tried to trap them out but I've found removing several out of a high population density area only creates a vacant space for those who are hanging around waiting.

Sorry but either inside feeding or a time to feed outside and that's over. Also make sure you don't throw any scraps out in the yard, keep garbage cans with tight lids, etc.

I've had a lot of experience with these guys over the years. They are very smart, dexterous, and opportunistic.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
40 years ago had a face to face with one eating out of my outdoor garbage can. Not noticing, I had walked right up on him.....

He was NOT gonna move or easily be removed. I believe he would have become violent had I tried. Not worth the risk of bite, scratch, disease, etc. In the interest of MY safety, I let him be. Afterwards, added a giant weight on top of the g can cover.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I could tell racoon stories... one park I worked at pulled 23 from one dumpster! The park manager who lived on site told me one night his bell rang and it was two campers scared to death. They were laying in their tent and heard the tent zipper unzip in the dark! Yes it was a big racoon!!
But in all seriousness they can get very aggressive if cornered so take care.

Food is their only motivator!