Help Me Please

catmom1997

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fiancé and I rescued a cat from outdoors in December. She weighed 3 pounds and we have gotten her to a more healthy weight of 8 pounds. We have taken her to the vet twice and both times they have given her antibiotics but she goes insane when you try to give them to her. She was a sweet cat when we took her in but through us trying to medicate her for her infections she now won't let us touch her. She is vomiting and sneezing blood everywhere because she won't let us medicate her. She bit the syringe in half. We live in a rental so the vomiting and sneezing everywhere is an issue. She is litter trained and good with our other cat. I just tried to pick her up yesterday and she split my thumb and forearm open. I really need help or I am going to have to rehome her and I don't know what to do.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried putting it in some tasty food? Also I know people hate it but wonder if Convenia would be better in this case. It's an antibiotic injection thay lasts a week. Problem is if your cat has a bad reaction you can't get it out of her system. Did you try calling the Vet and telling them about your issues?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Get back to talking to the vet. A shot would solve a lot. Poor kitty is having to adjust to all new stuff and doesn’t understand why you are forcing stuff down her that tastes nasty and just the action of doing it is frightening. Once you get her through the antibiotic issue she should calm down in time. She may be a little jumpy for awhile but she will recover her sweet attitude with some patience. I suggest that if you have to get a pill in you use a food to hide it. They make pull pockets. Baby food sometimes works. ( meat only) something stinky like tune. If the vet says it’s okay then you can crush it and use a syringe (without a needle) dissolve it in the smallest bit of water and use the syringe to squirt it in her mouth. Carefully. I’m still for the shot over everything. She needs to reestablish being secure around you. Please don’t give up on her. :alright:She’ll be sweet and loving once she isn’t terrified. I had to give an IV to one of my cats and she was scared of me for a little while after that. It saved her life and she is back as a lap cat now and all is well. I think you are awesome for helping her.:heartshape:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, i get my wild ones the injection. If not, I get the liquid antibiotic and give it in a small amount of tuna juice. Then I give teh rest of teh tuna when they drink it up. I have to find a good deal on tuna, but it works very well because it is so stinky. Pouring a small amount of juice out of a can of mackerel and keeping the can in the fridge to reuse for another dose would work too.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I medicate my hard to medicate cats with baby food. Gerber stage 2 turkey or chicken in the glass jar with blue label. It works really well to mask terrible tastes.
I have a cat on liquid medication right now. I tried just squirting it down his throat, but he spit it up all over me. The taste must be just awful. So I added it this morning to a spoonful of baby food. He lapped it up easily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom1997

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried putting it in some tasty food? Also I know people hate it but wonder if Convenia would be better in this case. It's an antibiotic injection thay lasts a week. Problem is if your cat has a bad reaction you can't get it out of her system. Did you try calling the Vet and telling them about your issues?
She has had two shots and I've tried the wet food with the antibiotics mixed in but she wouldn't eat it.

catmom1997

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. Get back to talking to the vet. A shot would solve a lot. Poor kitty is having to adjust to all new stuff and doesn’t understand why you are forcing stuff down her that tastes nasty and just the action of doing it is frightening. Once you get her through the antibiotic issue she should calm down in time. She may be a little jumpy for awhile but she will recover her sweet attitude with some patience. I suggest that if you have to get a pill in you use a food to hide it. They make pull pockets. Baby food sometimes works. ( meat only) something stinky like tune. If the vet says it’s okay then you can crush it and use a syringe (without a needle) dissolve it in the smallest bit of water and use the syringe to squirt it in her mouth. Carefully. I’m still for the shot over everything. She needs to reestablish being secure around you. Please don’t give up on her. :alright:She’ll be sweet and loving once she isn’t terrified. I had to give an IV to one of my cats and she was scared of me for a little while after that. It saved her life and she is back as a lap cat now and all is well. I think you are awesome for helping her.:heartshape:
She sadly has had two shots and they did nothing. We tried the tuna, we tried wet cat food, and we physically can't get her to take it anymore. When she was underweight she didn't have the strength to fight back but now she won't even let you pick her up to do the medicine. I tried picking her up last night and she filleted my hands and my forearm.

catmom1997

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I medicate my hard to medicate cats with baby food. Gerber stage 2 turkey or chicken in the glass jar with blue label. It works really well to mask terrible tastes.
I have a cat on liquid medication right now. I tried just squirting it down his throat, but he spit it up all over me. The taste must be just awful. So I added it this morning to a spoonful of baby food. He lapped it up easily.
I can try this one.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a very small amount of something lovely and stinky. Something to hide the smell. You need to give it to her before the medicine has time to get melted with the food or the taste and smell of that permeate the food. Tuna, mackerel, meat baby food are good possibilities. Make sure you wear thick sleeves too. I suit up if I’m giving pills. A thick coat. I have gotten others to pull my cats. Sometimes they cower with someone else and are easier to medicate. If all else fails, the vet may need to pill her. Some pills can be given less often than others. Let the vet know the whole situation and have them alter the treatment so that it can be accomplished. A tech should be able to pill her so it isn’t necessary to see the vet each time. There are ways to work around this. Your vet should be able to help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she won't take her regular meds mixed into baby food, ask about having the meds flavored. I get chicken flavored meds for my cat who needs daily meds, and also mix it with chicken baby food. That way there's no weird cherry flavor mixed with chicken.

Try giving her plain baby food as a treat. So she won't be so suspicious when meds are added. Since you have another cat, give that kitty some baby food too, so she can see it's not doctored up. If it's just for her she'll know something's up, lol. Kitties are good at that.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is the possibility of using a compounding pharmacy to get the meds tasting better so you can hide them in her food. The above suggestions are excellent. I hope something here will help.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These won't solve all your problems but they may help. they are kevlar arm sleeves, which should keep her from shredding your arms. You can't cover your fingers, in my experience, and still get the pill in the cat's mouth. I'd put the sleeves on before wrapping her in a towel. She'll be better tempered when the infection is gone. they are $20. It's hard to tell from the picture, but there's one for each arm.

put this in the Amazon search
Kevlar Arm Sleeves, Easylife185 Cut & Heat Proof Sleeve with Thumb Holes, 18 " Inch Long Safety Arm Guide

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You poor thing - -- I understand completely. Our sweetest kitty who's an ex-feral TNR kitty ("Flick") that we brought in - - she's just a tiny little girl (6 pounds), and a total lap cat who purrs if you even look at her! But try to pill her or give her liquid medication and you'd swear someone swapped her for the Exorcist! So I know how you feel - - - you want to help them SO badly, and you wish you could explain that to her! For her, and perhaps for yours too, she retains a little of that need to "fight for her life" if she feels cornered, even by us. I always try to remind myself (and my hubby) - - and it might help you to try to think a little this way - - that it's that kind of ability to suddenly turn into the Tasmanian Devil that kept her alive outside so that she could enter your life and be the loving part of your family you're crazy for. And you've done SO much for her (and she obviously does love you - despite the "filleting") that I'd hate to see you give up on her. Putting her back outside - especially while ill - won't bode well for her. And it sounds like she loves you (and you her) so much! :itslove:

That said -- -- I know medicating kitties like that is beyond REALLY tough!!!!!! Definitely feel your pain (physically and mentally!).

You've already been given great suggestions in answers above. I'll try not to repeat too much - - -but here are a few things that have worked for us over our years of fostering (and dealing with our sweet little crazy girl!).

I will say, if at all possible, I would get her back to the vet. She seems like she's still ill enough that I think they'd want to know. Plus they deal with "virtually impossible to medicate" cats daily. I know money may be an issue, as getting her into a carrier may be also. Monetarily - -if you call the vet and explain what's going on - - that whatever shots she got haven't seemed to help, and that you're unable to get ANY pills down her. I know antibiotic shots - which we always get when possible for our "virtually unpillable" kitties - - -including little sweet Flick - - the shots have made a world of difference (I'm definitely not a vet - -- so I'm not giving medical advice in the slightest - - I just know in the past for me, they've usually had a quick positive reaction on our kitties). I think your vet would want to know the shots had no effect - and that she's not getting any better. Your vet may be willing to let you pay in installments (alot won't - but it's worth asking), or even give you a discount because how this is working out (ours will do this - but again - not all will). You might want to look into CareCredit - it's another way to help out when things are tough monetarily.

As far as getting her into a carrier -- when we have a sick kitty - - we keep a carrier out for a few days so they're not panicked when a carrier just "appears." And we also often use a laser pointer in play - - - and we play every evening for several evenings before with a laser pointer, having them chase the light in and out of the carrier. When it's time for the appointment, one of us does the laser pointer play, and when the kitty goes into the carrier, the other person quickly shuts the carrier door. We then put a beach towel (that we already have on top of the carrier) over the carrier - -- instantly calming the cat.

As far as options in getting meds down her, there are many (and many mentioned above!). Check with your vet about compounding the med -- it might be able to be compounded into a liquid (and they'll flavor them like tuna or chicken,etc) which will likely be much easier to give. I'd skip trying to give it to her straight - - and go right to giving it to her in the Gerber Stage 2 Chicken Baby food - the way that W Willowy suggested - - first w/o any meds in it, then the next day, WITH the meds. We also use canned mackerel in the same way - first giving a bit as a treat - - and then later putting a little of the compounded liquid med into the mackerel with its juice. We've also gotten Kentucky Fried Chicken (hubby swears I try this just because I like to have an excuse to get it!) - removed the skin, mushed up the meat a bit, and adding the liquid med to that. If KFC isn't an option - - rotisserie chicken from the grocery store is also very tasty and smelly (in a good way) and often does the trick! You can also ask if the med can be compounded into something that can be rubbed into her ears -- -alot of meds can't,but it's worth asking!

One other thing we've had work - -- if there's a treat she really loves, we put the treat in a ziplock bag with a wet paper towel, which softens the treat overnight. We then break the pill into little pieces and shove them into the softened pill. If the pill is not a highly bitter one, that way has worked for us.

Keep us posted -- - hope something one of us has offered as a suggestion that will work for you. She sounds like she's - other than this - a wonderful kitty who loves you very much. Hopefully this is a hump you can all get over soon!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a compounded rx for my feral, it's a soft chew, chicken flavored.
I cut it into 2 pieces and put it into her dry food, as she doesn't eat much canned food, a compounding pharmacy is Roadrunner Pharmacy in Arizona, they are pretty east to work with, just need to send the RX that you have from your vet.
I hope your kitty get's well soon!
fyi: Roadrunner pharmacy does various types of compounding, liquid, soft chews etc...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one cat that was IMPOSSIBLE to medicate, we had tried everything. Then the vet showed me a trick that worked well. Grab her by the loose skin on the back of the neck and hoist her up until her front feet are off the ground. It instantly quiets them and you are in control. Then put the liquid antibiotic into the side of their mouth against the cheek. Was a last ditch effortb that worked!