Help Me Find The Motivation To Clean!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Somebody suggested one of the hoarder shows; I was going to post a pic of one of the houses! LOL

Really, though, I don't think you'll ever be of one those--you seem to be keeping on top of the crucial things, despite your harried schedule. (I don't know how you manage to do it all!).  All I can suggest:

1.  Perhaps schedule a time block for the not-so-immediate chores, such as the closet cleaning.   It doesn't have to be now; all I'm suggesting is that you mark it on your calendar so many times per year.  That way, you can plan your schedule in advance, and feel more in control, too (and not so guilty about not doing it now).

2.  Do a little at a time for the crucial stuff on an everyday basis.  I do this when I'm sick. I don't try to do my weekly cleaning all in 1 night.  I would still do the cat's needs as you're doing them now, though.

3.  Maybe you could ask for the gift of a cleaning service for your birthday, etc.--even just once a month would help.  Also, it may not be all that expensive--I've know co-workers that had cleaning ladies who came in every 2 weeks, and was surprised by how reasonable it was. Bear in mind that they charge their fees on an individual basis, and the cat stuff may incur a higher fee (or not).

4.  Similar to #3: could you pay or ask as a gift, for a family member or friend to clean for you periodically?
1. That's a good idea, I'll try that out!

2. I do do the crucial stuff the majority of the time, rarely there will be a few dishes in the sink that I'll get to the next day but for the most part I do do the crucial stuff as it needs to be done. I definitely wouldn't change the cat's stuff, we've gone away for two nights/one day before (left in the evening came back a day later in the morning) and the litter smell was already too much for me - I felt so bad for them. It really wasn't that bad, but still. 

3. This is a good idea, although as someone else mentioned I'd probably clean before the came, lol. I don't like people being here when I'm not here, too many bad experiences with roommates and having things go "missing" and just sitting on the couch while they clean would be a bit awkward. 

4. I may see if I can find a friend that will do it. I actually have a friend that runs a commercial cleaning business, she might be interested in doing it. She doesn't drive, but her husband does and I'm sure they could fit it into their schedule. 
When you never have two days in a row off, taking "one day of the weekend to clean" leaves you with no rest day at all. I understand your dilemma nerdock. I work 6 or 7 days a week. I never ever get two days in a row off. I'm tired all the time and I've gone from keeping my house cluttered but sparkling to groaning when I walk in the door because there is always something needing to be done that I am too tired to do.
I vacuum, and dump and scrub the litter boxes, and clean my own bathroom, and change the bedding, all once a week, usually on Sunday morning. But dusting, organizing, filing, clearing out piles of papers and clutter....it just looms over me.
I do "steam" shampoo the carpets once a month. It has to be done so frequently now because the carpets are very old, have been cat-puked on so many times, I just can't get the smell out permanently. So even though the shampooing of carpet and carpeted stairs is a major chore, that is one thing I do force myself to do.
Laundry is not a problem. I wear the same clothes practically every day, I don't have very many clothes, so I do laundry almost nightly.
I have today off. It is my only day off in the past 16 days and I am so tired I can't even bring myself to go to the store. I just want to lie on the couch and read, and that is probably what I will do. Before today I had one day of rest in the past 32 days.
I can't stand the clutter, but I am just so darn tired I can't seem to make myself do anything about it. I just don't know where to start.
Hiring someone is not an option.
Thanks, it's really hard to explain to people. They usually say something like "oh well this day you only worked x hours and had half the day off" or "you had a day off yesterday, why didn't you do it then?". When you factor in that I still have to do grocery shopping, walk dogs, service the car, etc it really ads up to a lot of time. I'm really bad about changing bedding, I know I should do it more but I never think of it. It does get done about once every other week though. 

I feel you on being so tired on your day off that you just want to lay on the couch and read, that's definitely how I get. Then I feel guilty after because I think, hey that was like 2 hours that I could have done some of the things that need to get done. 

I have a hard time dealing with clutter and it's at the point right now that I'm starting to notice it and want to take care of it before it gets to the point where I don't know where to start. Unfortunately, most of the time trying to do one thing ends up turning into a huge project because I have to move all the stuff out of this place to put a few things in that place, etc. I got my schedule tonight for next week and it looks like with the holiday I actually have two days off! I'm going to tackle a lot of it on Sunday after work and then finish up on Monday (the holiday) hopefully. 
I used to set aside one day a week for cleaning. For some reason, I got away from that and now it seems I am doing a little bit of cleaning each day. Dusting one day, vacuuming another, bathrooms another, floors this day
I don't like that because then the house doesn't feel "fully" clean ever. I think I will get back to the "all in one day" cleaning. It does get screwed up though when other things come up and then that throws off your cleaning schedule. I also tell myself that it is like working out
Makes it a bit easier -getting cleaning and a workout all in one
That's my problem too. I like when it feels fully clean and I just can't seem to get that satisfaction with it right now which makes me not even want to bother. I know, horrible attitude. 
I'm no good at cleaning. . .literally, I have no idea what to do. My mom grew up with a maid so she doesn't know how to clean and so she couldn't teach me. I read some Don Aslett books but it's like learning another language or something
. I'm pretty good at scrubbing litterboxes, though
I think I keep the house reasonably clean unless I'm working too much (I have a variable schedule so some weeks it's 50 hours and some weeks much less). But there are a lot of things that don't occur to me or I don't know how to do (reading Winchester's post. . .walls need washing? How do you wash a wall?). Meh, I get by, I guess. I won't win any Better Homes and Gardens awards. At least the house isn't cluttered because the cats would wreck anything I leave lying around
I thought about hiring somebody but I'm not sure it's fair to subject them to the cats
. And I wouldn't want anybody in my house when I'm not there and it's awkward having them clean when you are there.
I never wash my walls, lol. I had a scuff on one of the walls here in the living room and tried to wash it off, I ended up washing part of the paint off, lol. My scheduled is really varied as well, some weeks I'm 50+ hours, others I'm 40. This week, because of the holiday, I'm down to 36 and that's a short week for me, lol. 

I know what you mean about hiring someone and it being awkward, that's why I'm avoiding it, lol.
My place always looks trashed. I'm out of work and I know I should be cleaning, but I just don't feel like it.
Being pregnant with a 3yo who at the moment is literally covered from head to toe in flea bites (no more sleepovers with grandma) isn't helping with my motivation either.
This is how I was when I was in college and wasn't working. It got really depressing. I think this is where Mike is right now too, I know how he feels but he needs to step up and help! He's here often enough, lol. 
I should clarify that I do keep my kitchen clean.

Dusting and decluttering events are few and far between. But laundry, bathroom, cats' toilet area are done weekly and I can't stand dirty dishes in the sink or piled on the counter. I keep the counters washed several times a day and whenever I prepare food, mine or theirs. I use either the hot soapy water in the dish pan, or a spray down of Clorox Anywhere(tm).
My apartment is tiny though, and like someone else mentioned, there is no wall space, and living has kind of spilled out into the center of the apartment.
It takes me 5 or 10 minutes to pick up all the cat toys and scratchers, move the coffee table and tuck up the throws, before I can commence vacuuming. This is what I mean by clutter. Who has the energy to do that more than once a week?
I don't. You know, I did when I was younger, but I am not a spry 40 year old any more. Vacuuming once a week is enough. I use the upright for the carpet and the hand held canister with hose to get the baseboards and edges, under the couch cushions, and stuff like that.
I do make a little effort to gather up the shreds of cardboard from scratching or chewing and brown paper bag shreds from playing and chewing, if not every day, every other day.
Every now and then I do manage to do things like clean out and reorganize the big closet but not very often. The cats LOVE Clean Out The Big Closet Day.
I know exactly what you mean, although I'm only 26. I feel like I'm beginning to burn out and I need to put a stop to that, whether it be hire someone to come in and help me do a big organize/clean or do it myself and then hire someone to come in and help keep it up... I'm not sure just yet. 
Actually a hundred bucks would take care of this. Hire a maid.

A maid may help a bit, but I would rather not spend that kind of money often. My income is pretty low when you factor in my rent, vet costs for 2 cats and 2 dogs, groceries, car payment, insurance, etc. I do have a bit left at the end of the month but I'm trying to get some savings again. I am going to look into having a professional organizer come in though and help, I think that would make a big difference and then I can tackle the cleaning aspects myself when everything has a place. 
A number of years ago I worked with a guy who gave his wife a weekly cleaning service for a year as part of her Christmas present, he also bought her a nice leather jacket.  They both worked full time and had a small child.  She started cleaning the evening before the cleaning service was scheduled each week because she didn't want anyone seeing her house dirty.
I think that's what I'd end up doing, lol.
Usually a large or extra large. 
Darn, I'm extra small to small. I think my mom is your size though and needs to do the same thing, I'll ask her when she gets home from vacation. 
I cleaned private houses professionally for years (on my own), and still do a little cleaning, but commercial, not residential. I do not have extra money to spend on a cleaning person, and even if I did, I am much too private to ever desire someone else to clean it.
It's the clutter that is the problem, not dirt, as I keep the basics clean. I would not want anyone else trying to arrange my clutter.

As for dusting..eh. I dust when someone comes over, which is once every three or four months at the most.
Dusting is something I don't even think about. My parents house is older and was always very dusty no matter how often you cleaned. They had their ducts professionally cleaned pretty often and it helped for a little while, but it was always dusty to an extent. I think this is why I don't notice it as much. 
I suggest you recruit some help, if possible, from the other person or people who live with you! After my sister died, I was just not able to keep up with the housework and cooking, I have been so down, just couldn't do it all anymore... my daughter started helping by cleaning the bathroom every week; every Sunday my husband vacuums the sofas (for the cat hair) and the carpets, and dusts the house, and that has given me a chance to feel like I'm on top of things again, and not so overwhelmed!

We are minimalists and don't have a lot of "stuff" so clutter's never been a problem, but I'm able to sweep and mop, do laundry, and cook again plus have some much needed down-time. You have a boyfriend, right? Get him to help out, even if it's moving stuff for you or taking out trash/donations - it will go LOTS faster and easier!
No one else lives with me, it's just me :) Mike is here quite a bit, he stays over sometimes but I've also hired him as my dog walker because he's out of work right now and I needed someone to walk the dogs when I have long days. I'm going to get him to help out as much as he can, he won't be able to take donations anywhere (he doesn't drive) but he can take out trash and help me with some of the organization. 

Does anyone have any experience with a professional organizer? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you looked at http://flylady.net/ ? She has some good ideas for getting your home organized.
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Mike just told me that we have a BBQ to go to tomorrow, lovely. I told him that we can go, but that just means that we have a lot more work to do on Monday. He really wants to go to the BBQ so he's offered to do a lot more than just the tasks I was giving him. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Usually my only motivation to get the house really clean is when I have people coming over. :lol3:

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, and I'm not meaning to be rude or to "laugh at others", but the reality show Hoarders has the ability to get me into a cleaning mood. I also like to sing all the songs from Evita while I clean.

Last edited: