Help me decide on a new cell phone, please?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My contract is up next week, and I'm trying to decide between Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8.  They both look super cool, but I guess there are advantages and disadvantages to each.  I like the metal body on the HTC and I guess the processor is supposed to be smoother, but on the other hand the Galaxy has a better overall camera, you can change the battery, and it's waterproof.  I've had 3 sales people say they prefer the Galaxy and one say he prefers the HTC.

Anybody have either one of them, or would recommend one over the other?  Every time I think I've made my mind up someone says something that switches me back the other way. My head is about to explode trying to sort it all out. 

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l don't have either, l have the old iPhone 3GS.

However, almost every one of my co-workers have gone with the Galaxy and they all love them. The only negative l've heard is that the reception isn't as good as their old iPhones were in our big work building.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input. I'll probably go with the Galaxy because it has a replaceable battery, and a few other things I like better than the HTC.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked and debated for about a year before I chose my phone.  I was deciding between an iPhone and Galaxy.  In the end I went with the Galaxy. Mine is an S3.  I'm thrilled with my choice.  Way more apps than an iPhone has to choose from because iPhone is very proprietory when it comes to their software and hardware.

In fact several people I know have switched to Galaxy when their iPhone contract expired and all are happy with their choice.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If I didn't love my Droid Razr Maxx HD so much, I would switch to the Galaxy. I think it would be great phone to have.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I didn't love my Droid Razr Maxx HD so much, I would switch to the Galaxy. I think it would be great phone to have.
I second this. I love my Droid Razr Maxx HD but if I had to choose between the two you listed, I'd go with the galaxy.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the input. I'll probably go with the Galaxy because it has a replaceable battery, and a few other things I like better than the HTC.
My Bionic's charger docking port inside the phone has broken, making it a pain to charge.  I have to wrap the cord around the phone a certain way in order to charge it.  I looked on eBay and found 3 extended life batteries with new phone-backs and an external charger for $25.  It's actually more convenient than charging the normal way now.  I just pop out the old battery, put in a fresh one and rotate batteries on the charger.  Good thing too, since I live on limited funds and I had to buy a new computer when it unexpectedly died during spring break.  No way could I afford a new phone AND a new computer. 

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When dh gets his replacement phone tomorrow- we are all going to have iPhones.  Dh's Droid that's over 2 years old has been giving him problems for a while so he finally decided to replace his. 

The girls wanted iPhones.  So then he replaced my HTC with an iPhone. I would charge the phone all night and only get 10 minutes of use out of it before the battery died.  And a replacement battery was almost as much as I paid for the new phone.   Since the kids have it it's a really easy way to keep in touch.  Why?  Because we were on an old plan too that didn't have unlimited texting.  We had to use a text app and the kids HATED the text app. 

The unlimited data went away which is kind of sad.  Our new plan has 8GB of data for us to share (2GB/piece).  Unlimited talk and unlimted text (makes the kids happy LOL)  I think we can keep under 2GB a piece. 

Do I like the iPhone otherwise?  I don't know.  It has it's good points and bad points.  Having music on it is nice- but we also had two old IPods that did that job.  It has more apps, and it drives me crazy that Apple is a pain about sharing apps with Android.  I have a Kindle and there's apps I would love to put on it- but I can't because it's an Android device.  Sigh.  The camera isn't bad, it's better than the one I had. 

Maybe what I'll do when the time comes to replace this one- is that I'll fix it so it's only able to work as an iPod on wifi.  And then go back to an android device. 

Cheryl

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My Bionic's charger docking port inside the phone has broken, making it a pain to charge.  I have to wrap the cord around the phone a certain way in order to charge it.  I looked on eBay and found 3 extended life batteries with new phone-backs and an external charger for $25.  It's actually more convenient than charging the normal way now.  I just pop out the old battery, put in a fresh one and rotate batteries on the charger.  Good thing too, since I live on limited funds and I had to buy a new computer when it unexpectedly died during spring break.  No way could I afford a new phone AND a new computer. 
That's why I thought a replaceable battery would be a good thing.  When I got  my current phone (Lucid LG), I actually had in mind that I was going to get the Droid.  However, the Droid had a non replaceable battery and this one did.  It's served me well for 2 years.  So all other things being equal - if Galaxy has a battery you can replace and HTC doesn't - I'm going with the Galaxy.  I like also that it's waterproof and has a 16 mp camera.  I am just hoping they still have the buy one get one free deal next Monday when I can upgrade.  If not, I don't know what DH will be getting.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When dh gets his replacement phone tomorrow- we are all going to have iPhones.  Dh's Droid that's over 2 years old has been giving him problems for a while so he finally decided to replace his. 

The girls wanted iPhones.  So then he replaced my HTC with an iPhone. I would charge the phone all night and only get 10 minutes of use out of it before the battery died.  And a replacement battery was almost as much as I paid for the new phone.   Since the kids have it it's a really easy way to keep in touch.  Why?  Because we were on an old plan too that didn't have unlimited texting.  We had to use a text app and the kids HATED the text app. 

The unlimited data went away which is kind of sad.  Our new plan has 8GB of data for us to share (2GB/piece).  Unlimited talk and unlimted text (makes the kids happy LOL)  I think we can keep under 2GB a piece. 

Do I like the iPhone otherwise?  I don't know.  It has it's good points and bad points.  Having music on it is nice- but we also had two old IPods that did that job.  It has more apps, and it drives me crazy that Apple is a pain about sharing apps with Android.  I have a Kindle and there's apps I would love to put on it- but I can't because it's an Android device.  Sigh.  The camera isn't bad, it's better than the one I had. 

Maybe what I'll do when the time comes to replace this one- is that I'll fix it so it's only able to work as an iPod on wifi.  And then go back to an android device. 

Cheryl
I know people who swear by iPhones but I have no interest whatsoever - I'll stick with Android.  I don't need it to keep music on either, I have two mp3 players (not iPods) that work really well for that.  Right now I have 4 gb data for just myself and don't even use 1 so I think DH and I would be okay with 2 or 3.  Have to see what the best deal looks like.  I also have 1000 texts and 450 minutes, which I never use.  Whatever plan I go with will be getting unlimited talk and text.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second this. I love my Droid Razr Maxx HD but if I had to choose between the two you listed, I'd go with the galaxy.
Thanks!  I almost got A Droid Razr, but the whole can't change the battery thing scared me off of it.  I liked the looks of it for sure.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thanks!  I almost got A Droid Razr, but the whole can't change the battery thing scared me off of it.  I liked the looks of it for sure.
That scared me too, but I've had my phone for about two years now and it still lasts a couple days if I don't use it often, a day if I use it often.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
One of the reasons I got the Droid Razr Maxx HD is because it has an absurdly long battery life. I can go for days and days on end without charging that phone. Even with playing the games that I play. The battery in that thing is amazing.

But like I said previously, I do like the Galaxy, too. In fact, when Rick upgraded his phone back around Christmas, he was torn between a new Droid and the Galaxy. In the end, he went with another Droid (he went with a Droid Ultra), but he was very, very tempted with the Galaxy.

Last edited: