Help Me Compare These Wet Foods Please !

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow cat lovers :wave3::wave3:

I’m a long time lurker and I have learned soooo much on this site. I have two precious British shorthair kittens ( soon to be cats) and I feed them an all wet grain free rotation diet. I need your help comparing a couple foods and if someone please help me decide which choice would be better in terms of being lower carbohydrate and higher protein.
Food number 1
Pride by instinct rockstar rabbitt
Protein 11%
Fat 2.5%
Fiber 3%
Moisture 80%
Chewy says carbs on dry matter basis are 8.57%

Food number 2
Instinct minced rabbitt recipe
Protein 10%
Fat 3%
Fiber 1%
Moisture 82%
Ash 2.1%
Carbs as fed 2.9% per manufacturer

Which one is better in your opinion? I can get food #2 at a pretty deep discount at a local pet store but if food #1 in significantly better ill go with that. My cats love them both.
Thank you so much!!!!:hyper:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can look at this chart to see which of those two foods have the lowest carbs: http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Any of the Nature's Variety foods are good for cats :)

Personally I wouldn't worry about carbs unless the cat is diabetic or has some other medical reason for needing a low carb diet. As long as you stick with foods under 15% or so, the cats will be healthy :) The occasional higher carb food for a meal or treat is ok and will not cause any harm.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my they are FABulous!!
My two cents is that you could take advantage of the discount, and see how those awesome furry beauties do with it. :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your quick reply! They are amazing gentile and so sweet! I love them so much.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can look at this chart to see which of those two foods have the lowest carbs: http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Any of the Nature's Variety foods are good for cats :)

Personally I wouldn't worry about carbs unless the cat is diabetic or has some other medical reason for needing a low carb diet. As long as you stick with foods under 15% or so, the cats will be healthy :) The occasional higher carb food for a meal or treat is ok and will not cause any harm.
Thank you for your suggestions. I did look at that chart but unfortunately food # 2 is not listed. I guess I just get paranoid about carbohydrates as British shorthair cats are bigger stockier cats very prone to overeating so I don’t want them to end up with health problems.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they are both totally adorable :) If they are fond of Rabbit, another food you might try is Merrick back country, rabbit. mine are really enjoying it right now.

I may be one of the very few, and you can read and decide for yourself, but i have a hard time feeding a cat food that has spinach in it. Its in a lot of foods these days, but it bothers me.

another place you can use to compare foods is the cat food data base. Her numbers may be slightly off, if the cans dont show ash content, she doesnt include it in her calculations, so sometimes i find she is a bit on the high side with carbs. But she has a lot of food listed, and most seem accurate.

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they are both totally adorable :) If they are fond of Rabbit, another food you might try is Merrick back country, rabbit. mine are really enjoying it right now.

I may be one of the very few, and you can read and decide for yourself, but i have a hard time feeding a cat food that has spinach in it. Its in a lot of foods these days, but it bothers me.

another place you can use to compare foods is the cat food data base. Her numbers may be slightly off, if the cans dont show ash content, she doesnt include it in her calculations, so sometimes i find she is a bit on the high side with carbs. But she has a lot of food listed, and most seem accurate.

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat
Thank you for your advice. I greatly appreciate it. Normally I’m very hesitant to feed any foods with vegetables or fruit as well so I understand your concern. However it’s not something I feed exclusively so I think it’s fine in a rotation diet. Also from what I read the amounts of veggies in instinct are very small so I’m not terribly concerned.
I already feed them merrick backcountry rabbitt and beef packets. They love those as well. I also feed merrick rabbitt pate; whole earth farms duck; some nutro pates and natural balance platefuls ( occasionally) of and some fussy cat super premium chicken and liver and chicken and beef. I was just looking for one more food to add to my rotation. And they LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One more question while I’m thinking of it. What do you guys think of pork for cats? It’s not something they would eat in the wild. What are your thoughts?
Ps. I’m the annoying new member with a million questions :help::bliss:

ssssupernova

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beef and tuna aren't something cats would eat in the wild either, but they're very common cat food ingredients! Most all edible meat proteins can be digested the same way, pork is absolutely fine for cats to eat.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of cats has food allergies and some other health issues, so his menu options are limited. But he likes pork and rabbit pretty well. :)