Help Me!! 2 Yr Old Cat Bathroom Issues!

KieKiee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mid November, I decided to adopt a brand new cat. I already had two that I raised from kittens and I saw this gorgeous 2 year old Siamese mix that was previously a stray. My two older boy cats have always been calm and are very used to other animals in the house, I have various rodents living in rooms they can access and there have never been problems.

When bringing her home, my other cats were a bit peeved at first but they began to calm down. She did not, she instigates fights, she has petting aggression, and she also relieves herself where she pleases. Spefically on towels and now shes moving onto carpets. We have 3 litter boxes, 2 unhooded and 1 hooded all big enough as we have one very large cat that uses them with no problem.

She knows where the boxes are, and she has used them before.

I don't know what to do anymore. I've tried calming spray and collars. I've tried litter attractant. I'm at my wits end. If anyone can give advice I'd appreciate it so much.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS:welcomesign::hithere:

I'm so sorry you're having these issues with your girl. It can be incredibly frustrating, but, I know.

Your first step should be a vet check. Litterbox issues often have a physical cause, and you need to be sure your girl is healthy before you proceed. It sounds like she's pretty high strung and insecure too, and that won't be helping matters.
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

No matter what the cause, adding in extra boxes can help - you want it to be as easy as possible for her to make the right choice. Plenty of interactive playtime is worth a go too - it's a great stress buster, and will help her feel more secure in herself and her new home.

I really do sympathise with your situation. I hope you are able to resolve things soon :vibes:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would follow all the above advice, but just one more random thought:

Is there a relationship between the location/smell of the rodents and the places she chooses to pee? Since she was a stray, she might be using some "street tricks" on something she considers food. There is a complex relationship between mice, rats and cat urine. Google it, because it's complicated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WOW! Now that was something that I didn't know! Yes, do google it. It's fascinating if you are a cat person!