Help! Kitten Pooping Outside The Litter Box..

zo111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is 7 month old and he was neutered around 3 weeks ago.
He has been acting really weird ever since he had the surgery.
He would come upstairs and meow at my door at 3am to wake me up.
He never did this before the surgery: he always waited until 7 or 8 when he could hear our footsteps.
But this is not even an issue compared to what he did these last few days.
I wake up in the morning just to find his poop on the floor a few steps away from his litter box, everyday, at the same spot!
He definitely does not hate the litter brand we are using now, because he would still go in to pee and poop during the day.
We have 2 litter boxes placed side by side for him and I clean up the stools everyday. So I wouldn't think he did this because of lacking space to poop in the boxes.
He was already litter-trained when he first arrived at ours, so it was never a problem.
I tried to tell him not to do this by pointing at the poop while yelling at him. But he didn't seem to care at all.
I really don't know what the reason is and what to do to stop it.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Is he urinating in the litterbox?

Has he been constipated lately? Constipation is very painful for cats, so even when they are no longer constipated, they still might associate the pain with the litterbox.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do this when they are constipated. I give them hairball treats or paste every other day. I also make sure they get some canned food everyday for the moisture.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Clean the spot on the floor where he is pooping with an enzyme cleaner like oxyclean to remove his odor, then put his litter boxes in that spot.

Do not yell at him.

If he poops outside the box again, put the poop in his litter box and clean the floor with the enzyme cleaner.

At 7 months old he is a "teen" kitty right now. Teen kitties tend to act out. It's a stage that should resolve in a few weeks.

In the meantime, give him extra loving and play with him with a string toy before bed to get some of his energy out. He needs attention.

Make sure he has 24/7 access to food and water too. Growing kittens have excess energy and hunger.

This too shall pass!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zo111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Clean the spot on the floor where he is pooping with an enzyme cleaner like oxyclean to remove his odor, then put his litter boxes in that spot.

Do not yell at him.

If he poops outside the box again, put the poop in his litter box and clean the floor with the enzyme cleaner.

At 7 months old he is a "teen" kitty right now. Teen kitties tend to act out. It's a stage that should resolve in a few weeks.

In the meantime, give him extra loving and play with him with a string toy before bed to get some of his energy out. He needs attention.

Make sure he has 24/7 access to food and water too. Growing kittens have excess energy and hunger.

This too shall pass!
I tried cleaning with the enzyme cleaner. And he did stop for a few days.
But started again yesterday morning. This time, at 3 different spots not far from the litter box.
I'm worried he will develop this habit of pooping everywhere on the floor.
Is there any other thing I can try out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zo111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he urinating in the litterbox?

Has he been constipated lately? Constipation is very painful for cats, so even when they are no longer constipated, they still might associate the pain with the litterbox.
Yes, he is urinating normally in the box.
And I'm not sure if he has constipation.
I did hear him meowing loudly while pooping. Maybe this is a sign of constipation?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What specifically are you feeding him?

It may be that he goes outside the box if he is constipated.