Help! Is my cat pregnant?

ShyRebellion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I'm not 100% sure whether my cat is pregnant or not? She was rescued from an abusive home in April and then given to me so I could give her a loving home. I took her to the vets straight away as I was very worried about her. Since then she became a very loving happy healthy cat! Only problem was no one knew not even the vet knew whether she was spayed or not.... she has never shown signs of going into heat. About a week or so after coming back off holiday (she stayed in a cattery) I've noticed a few things:
- 16/17th September big black male cat sat in the garden calling for her. She was going out in the garden but didn't go further than the 8ft fence perimeter around our garden.
- End of September/beginning of October not eating much and she was sick a few times?
- 14th October ish onwards eating everything!
- This week I've noticed her belly has gotten noticeably bigger!!
But I'm still not sure? Her nipples haven't changed either. I've attached some pictures I took on Monday 1st November.
Any advice would be great.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is her tummy shaved?

Honestly, I don't think she's pregnant. Her nipples would almost certainly be larger and redder by now, and she'd probably be showing more. And if she was allowed out at her last home she would have had several litters by now, and she just doesn't have the figure for that. Plus it kind of looks like she may have a scar in the middle of her stomach, although I know that vets in a lot of places do flank spays, on the side, so that might just be a muscle or ligament.

Anyway, my guess is no, but cats are tricky like that and I could be wrong, so keep an eye on her.

Cats do tend to eat more when it's cold out so she might just be bulking up for winter :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShyRebellion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why is her tummy shaved?

Honestly, I don't think she's pregnant. Her nipples would almost certainly be larger and redder by now, and she'd probably be showing more. And if she was allowed out at her last home she would have had several litters by now, and she just doesn't have the figure for that. Plus it kind of looks like she may have a scar in the middle of her stomach, although I know that vets in a lot of places do flank spays, on the side, so that might just be a muscle or ligament.

Anyway, my guess is no, but cats are tricky like that and I could be wrong, so keep an eye on her.

Cats do tend to eat more when it's cold out so she might just be bulking up for winter :).
Her tummy isn't shaved, she came to me like that in April but much worse it has now started to grow back.... Vet said it's from over grooming for years due to stress :/ she also had no muscle mass due to hiding most of her life, when she first came to me she couldn't jump you could see nearly all of her bones and I seriously thought she wasn't going to make it through the night, she looked that ill. From what we know she has had a few litters the biggest one being 3 kittens. The line you can see is her fur where it's growing back slowly :/

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have your vet do an X-ray of her belly. It will quickly answer the question of pregnancy, as kittens would show up. The vet should also be able to see if she still has her uterus on an x-ray or ultrasound. That way you’ll know whether she is spayed or not and you can plan for either kittens or a spay.

Thank you for giving her a loving home. She is a beautiful calico!

ShyRebellion ShyRebellion

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShyRebellion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have your vet do an X-ray of her belly. It will quickly answer the question of pregnancy, as kittens would show up. The vet should also be able to see if she still has her uterus on an x-ray or ultrasound. That way you’ll know whether she is spayed or not and you can plan for either kittens or a spay.

Thank you for giving her a loving home. She is a beautiful calico!

ShyRebellion ShyRebellion
I did think that with the vets, they would be able to just do an ultrasound to see if she's spayed or not but they didn't even mention it. They wanted me to book her in for a spay and nothing else 🤦‍♀️ I couldn't leave her, I thought even if she doesn't make it through the night at least I've given her some love 😥

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll need to book an appointment for an x-ray. It should andwer what you need to know.