HELP : Interrupted Labor question!!!!!

Tapalove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi so ive just delivered my first set of kittens, long story short watched a guy throw 9 kittens into a ditch i grabbed them up & rehomened all but 3, now 1 of them was a female got pregnant by finding a hole in my wall next to my vent i didnt know was there & she got pregnant 1st heat unfortunately, so i canceled her spay appointment and she just had them this morning, 1st 2 were 50mins apart,
2nd & 3rd were 40mins
3rd & 4th were 4hrs & 40 mins
4th & 5th were 20mins

Now mom is acting calm & restful again but her valva is still contracting & pushing out blood & her muscles are still relaxed, she is showing NO signs of discomfort & is a dependent type cat.
Im not sure but it feels like there is still 1 possibly 2 left.

So my question is is it possible for a cat to have more than 1 interrupted labors?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s possible there may be another kitten, and it could safely come hours or days later. However, I think it is more likely that she is experiencing “after pains,” which is the uterus still contracting while it begins to shrink back to normal. Human moms have after pains as well — mini-contractions really. The uterus is lumpy after giving birth and it often seems there are more kittens when there are not.

It takes the uterus a couple of weeks to heal, and there will be minimal bleeding and spotting off and on, especially the first 7-10 days. There may even be an occasional small clot, but there should be no heavy flow of red blood. This would be a hemorrhage and require immediate medical attention. How much blood are you seeing?

Are the kittens all latching and nursing well? Weigh them daily to ensure they gain 6-10 grams or more each 24 hours, and feed mom as much food as she wants. She needs it.

Do keep us posted, and thank you for saving those kittens.

Tapalove Tapalove